UMM Home Academics Admissions News, Sports, & Events CampusLife Alumni & Friends Directories
Podcasting is a way of watching video and audio content when and where you want, whether it is on your computer, your ipod, or any other compatible device. You can watch these videos online, or subscribe to the podcast amd recieve new videos automatically. To subscribe, click on the "Subscribe with iTunes" link (iTunes users only), or copy the following address to your podcast software:
UMM Home > Faculty Center> Thursday Afternoon Seminar Podcast > March 1, 2007

Seminar of March 1, 2007 Elena Machkasova
Computer Science

"Theory and Practice of Automatic Program Optimization."
In 1969 Edsger W.Dijkstra, one of the founders of computer science, wrote: "it is not only the programmer's task to produce a correct program but also to demonstrate its correctness in a convincing manner". He continued: "program correctness is not my only concern, program adaptability or manageability will be another". Following this approach, most modern programming languages are designed with features that make it easier to understand, test, modify, and maintain programs. Such features, however, often result in additional memory usage and/or slower programs. Often these costs can be offset by tools that automatically optimize programs. Program optimization, however, is a non-trivial task since changes to a program must be performed without changing the behavior of the program. In this talk I will discuss some features of modern programming languages and their effect on performance. I will give an overview of my research on proving that certain program transformations preserve programs' behavior. I will also discuss a program optimization developed with my students for the widely-used Java programming language.