ST. PAUL, Minn. (1/12/2010) —The University of Minnesota Extension Beef Team will host the 2010 Minnesota Beef Cow/Calf Days at 10 locations across Minnesota during the weeks of Feb. 2-5 and Feb. 8-12. The winter programs are designed for cow and calf producers.
The programs provide up-to-date information on issues and technologies being used within the beef industry, and create an atmosphere for critical thinking, experiences and discussions.
Each year, topics presented at Cow/Calf Days are selected based on producer surveys from the previous year, and on current issues related to the beef industry.
Five northern location meetings (with the contact person's telephone number for more details) are scheduled Feb. 2-5 as follows:
- Feb. 2, Central Lakes College, Staples, 9:30-3 p.m., Todd County Extension, (320) 732-4435
- Feb. 2, American Legion, Bagley, 5:30-9:30 p.m., Clearwater County Extension. (218) 694-6151
- Feb. 3, Old City Hall, Lancaster, 5:30-9:30 p.m., Roseau County Extension, (218) 463-0294
- Feb. 4, Rosalies Restaurant, Baudette, 5:30-9:30 p.m., Extension Regional Office in Grand Rapids, (218) 327-5958
- Feb. 5, Itasca Community College, Grand Rapids, 5:30-9:30 p.m., Extension Regional Office in Grand Rapids, (218) 327-5958
Five southern location meetings are scheduled Feb. 8-12 as follows:
- Feb. 8, Fish Lake Resort, Mora, 5:30-9:30 p.m., U of M - NCROC, (218) 327-4490
- Feb. 9, Minnewaska House, Glenwood, 9:30-3 p.m., Kandiyohi County Extension, (320) 231-7890
- Feb. 10, Minn. West Comm. & Tech College, Pipestone, 9:30 a.m.- 3 p.m., Pipestone County Extension, (507) 825-6715
- Feb. 11, La Quinta Inn, Rochester, 5:30-9:30 p.m., U of M - NCROC, (218) 327-4490
- Feb. 12, KC Hall, New Prague, 9:30-3 p.m., Le Sueur County Extension, (507) 357-8230
Topics will include:
- Current Beef Team research and education updates, with Extension Beef Team
- What's to know about grazing systems, with (North Only) Russ Mathison - U of M, and (South Only) Paul Peterson - U of M
- The basics and cost of developing heifers, with Dan Larson - Great Plains Livestock Consulting, Inc.
- The economics behind the cow, with (North Only) Lori Weddle-Schott - Extension Beef Team, and (South Only) Ryon Walker - Extension Beef Team
- Panel: Keeping the younger generation in the beef business, with invited speakers and beef producers
Any use of this article must include the byline or following credit line:
Ryon Walker is a beef educator with University of Minnesota Extension.
Media Contact: Catherine Dehdashti, U of M Extension, (612) 625-0237, firstname.lastname@example.org