Album Review - Week 3

Gavin DeGraw
Chariot

In his first album Chariot, Gavin DeGraw sings in Follow Through, "Oh, this is the start of something good" and I couldn't agree more. His sweet, soul-stinging voice gets in your head and your heart. You can't help but wish he was singing for you, and most importantly, to you.

Chariot is a collection of songs that represent the metamorphosis of one's feelings about a relationship and himself from good to bad and good again. However, the order in which the songs are arranged leave the listener feeling a bit bi-polar. The majority of his songs are soft ballads that serenade you. Follow Through is a slow starting song that eventually gets your hand drumming right along with the uptake. This leads us into Just Friends what gets you feeling for this poor guy and reminds you of your own high school heart dramas. Then that turns into Chemical Party where you think he's learned that his gal isn't a good match for him and this assumption in paired with the unruliness sound of the song. Over-Rated then gives off mixed signals because in the beginning he sounds bitter and angry when he sings "you're so good" but the rest of the song seems to be him trying to convince us of the awesome love he'll have. The ending of this song always gets to me when he sings, "you-who-who". It reminds me, and not in a good way, of the movie Greece when Frankie Avalon is singing to Frenchie. I can't help but picture insanely updo-ed women wearing toga dresses with wings, and Gavin climbing the stairway among the clouds. What I really want to hear at the end of this album is "I Don't Wanna Be" to get me pumped up an re-energized about my life point of view. Even though his songs feel out of order, it doesn't take away from the pure enjoyment of his voice nor the experience we have when listening to his songs. He sings in Follow Through, as if reading our mind, "all I really want is you, you to stick around, I'll see you every day", and need I say more?

This page contains a single entry by urab0003 published on June 10, 2010 10:35 AM.

Private Public Self Lessons was the previous entry in this blog.

Music Review Lesson - Week 3 is the next entry in this blog.