Private Public Self Lessons

Lesson 1 - Constructing The Private Public Self

Objective
: Creating a private public self
: Discuss when is it too much?

Introduction:
- Ask the students what the definition of "private" is?
What does it mean, when I say to you to keep something private?

- Ask them what the definition of public means?
What does it mean when we do something in public or share something in public?

Lesson:
Define the private public self
- It's when you share private information about yourself to the public. It would be information that no one would know, unless they were in the same room you were in at the exact moment.
- Ask someone to go in the hall. Then I will hop on one foot and ask the class if the student in the hall would know what I was doing at that moment. Then I would ask the student in the hall the same questions. Next, I would have a student write it down on a mini whiteboard and give it to them. Then I would ask the student again, and they would be able to tell me.
- I would explain that celebrities these days (like, Justin Bieber) use media outlets like Facebook and Twitter to share their private public self.

Creating the private public self
- We will use mini white boards and markers to share our EVERY move.
- From how our pencil feels, to what color we write with, to when we cough or sneeze. Basically every little thought you think in your head, you need to write on the board for the ENTIRE day.

Wrap-up:
- What is a private public self?
- What did you think of our white board activity?
- What do you think about sharing all of that information? Was it fun? Was it helpful? Do we need to know all of it?
- Why would someone willing share all of that information?
- Where should draw the line as to what to share?
- How much is too much?
- Pretend you are a celebrity (Miley or Justin Bieber) and you shared private information on Twitter or Facebook. Then a fan came up to you and started asking you personal information, do you have a right to be mad at them for asking? Why?

Lesson 2 - The Man Behind The Curtain?

Objective:
- To get students to think about the possible consequences of sharing your private public self
- To make students aware of the possible dangers that lie in the different multi-media communicational devices (Facebook, Twitter)

Introduction:
- Ask who is familiar with the Wizard of Oz? Ask what the story is about?
- Read the chapter in the Wizard of Oz where Oz appears to each one of the characters as a different form.

Lesson:
-The Wizard of Oz appeared as a beautiful lady, a huge floating head, a terrible beast, and a ranging fireball. Do any of the characters know which form is the "real" Oz yet?
- Do you think it was a smart decision to follow the directions of a person who appeared to each of them as a different figure?
- Play "The Man Behind The Curtain"

Game: The Man Behind the Curtain
- Have a curtain/barrier set up in the middle of the room
- Divide the class in half and have either on each side.
- Each student needs a flag. On one side it say "Real Thing", and on the other side it says "Oz".
- Each side takes turn playing the character (answering the questions) while the other side asks the questions to find out more about them.
- After all the questions have been answered for the character, the question askers have to decide if this person is really who they say they are.
- Hand out the Question and Answer cards to both sides. Each Questions card has a matching Answer card.
- Ex. Question Card #1 Answer Card #1
1. What is your name? 1. My name is Elmo
2. What is your favorite color? 2. Red
3. Where do you live? 3. On Sesame Street
4. What kind of animal is your pet? 4. A goldfish
* I am not the real Elmo
- Then ask everyone to vote if they believe this is the real Elmo
- The "Elmo" tells everyone if they are the real Elmo or not.
- After all the cards have been played hold a discussion.

Wrap-up
- I noticed that it was difficult for some of us to figure out if we were talking to the real character not. Why do you think that is?
- Just because we see something on the internet or participate in something on the internet, does it mean that we can trust it or believe it?
- If we were able to use different multi-media resources, such as Facebook or Twitter, what do you think would be some good guidelines to keep in mind.Think back to when we used the mini-white boards too. When is too much information a bad thing? Also, how can we stay safe from "friends"/"strangers"?

This page contains a single entry by urab0003 published on June 9, 2010 9:53 AM.

The Private Public Self - Assignment 4 was the previous entry in this blog.

Album Review - Week 3 is the next entry in this blog.