University of Minnesota

UThink News

« Custom Fields are going to be interesting | Main | Testing: Problems that have surfaced »

Testers needed

Hello everyone! As many of you probably know, we are planning on upgrading the wonder that is UThink at the end of this month (May). Exciting times! Anyway, the system is "good enough" that I would greatly appreciate if some of you would test it out.

I have already contacted a bunch of people to test existing blogs in the system to make sure that they transfer properly when we finally go live. However, I really need people to test the creation of new blogs, new entries, and to try all the new blog/site types we have (Classic blog, Community blog, Professional website, Forum).

So, would you be willing to test this beast out? If so, contact me at uthink@umn.edu.

There are some known issues so far:

1. Creating "Pages" within existing blogs does not seem to work. "Pages" in new blogs seems to work great.
  2. Guest Internet IDs do not seem to work.
  3. Creating private blogs is a little (actually a lot) buggy. In fact, you may just want to ignore that for now.

Also, due to new functionality within Movable Type (the software that runs UThink) we will now be publishing all blogs through SSL (https). There are pros and cons with this, but it is what it is. Most systems at the U that require x.500 (U of M Internet ID) integration are published through SSL. Unfortunately, UThink can no longer be an exception.

So, again, let me know if you'd like to be a tester. We hope to upgrade at the end of May, so there isn't much time left to get this right! Thanks!

Does the change to https mean that the URL for the blog will change and RSS feeds will break?

We will put server level redirects on everything so hopefully all links and URLs will continue to work as expected. Having said that, I'm not sure how RSS aggregators respond to redirects. Do they display the content as normal when redirected, or do they balk? Something to test...

Nice article! It was a pleasure to read it :)

I would like to take the ability of saying thanks to you for that professional advice I have constantly enjoyed going to your site. We're looking forward to the commencement of my university research and the complete preparing would never have been complete without surfing this site. If I can be of any help to others, I'd personally be thankful to help through what I have discovered from here.

J'adore votre blog .. couleurs très agréable et le thème. Avez-vous créé ce site Web vous-même ou avez-vous embaucher quelqu'un pour le faire pour vous? Plz réponse que je me suis à la recherche pour créer mon propre blog et je voudrais savoir u wheere eu ce à partir. grâce

Fantastic blog! I dont feel Ive seen all the angles of this subject the way youve pointed them out. Youre a accurate star, a rock star man. Youve got so significantly to say and know so significantly about the subject that I think you ought to just teach a class about it...HaHa!

Lead paint isn't supposed to be belittled and neglected. Your children is at the most risk from as they are more susceptible to lead poisoning than adults are. Studies show that homes and establishments that were built before 1978 contain or has lead in their paint. If you are a homeowner or a general contractor you should learn more about lead paint removal and how to test for lead in your homes.

I was looking forward for this post to come out. I may missed it but I never stop in finding your blogs and posts. Thanks for taking time and sharing your ideas, thoughts and perspective which readers can learn something from it.
I just hope you will continue doing what you are doing now. I love you blog and you every posts.

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any approach you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks!