University of Minnesota

UThink News

« UThink upgrade schedule | Main | National Day on Writing is October 20! »

UThink upgraded!

Hello everyone! This will be a quick note (since we've been at this for quite a while): UThink has been updated successfully! We are in the process of rebuilding all the blogs, which will take all night, but for the average user UThink is now fully upgraded and using Movable Type 4.25.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

• If you have an older blog (a blog created before June 15, 2009) and you try to use the new features of UThink (like tagging or the new styles) your blog will not be able to handle this new functionality properly. An older blog will still be using the old MT 3.* templates, so it won't have the correct template tags to display tags, for example. To fix this problem, to bring your blog up to speed using MT 4.25 templates, you may follow these instructions. Warning! Updating your templates to the new MT 4.25 templates will probably remove any customizations you have on your blog! So be careful when using these instructions!

• Secondly, there is a whole lot of instructions and new documentation located on the UThink Technical FAQ Wiki. It is my hope that some of your most basic questions will be answered by all the updated documentation on this wiki. So check it out! And if you've got something to add, feel free!

• And while I say that UThink has upgraded successfully, there most definitely could still be some problems. I haven't had time to look at all 7,892 individual blogs on the system yet. We are aware that there still could be some problems and we will do our best to fix those problems as soon as we are made aware of them.

Of course, if you have any questions regarding your blog, or regarding this upgrade and all the new functionality, please let me know at uthink@umn.edu. I honestly don't know what to expect regarding the volume of questions I will receive ... could be a lot, could be a little. Whatever the case, I am expecting some, so fire away.

I'd like to thank the JaWS programmers who made this upgrade possible: Douglas Lochowski-Haney and Alina Rimbu! Thanks a ton guys! You've done some great work!

Also, the upgrade of UThink would not have been possible without a generous grant provided by the College of Liberal Arts Student Technology Fee Committee. Thank you!

Again, if you have any questions, fire away! Happy blogging!

I am so pleased I discovered this post. I have been looking for these details for a long time now. Just how do i go about being informed of there are any fresh posts? I have noticed that a number of personal blogs provide an rss or something like that? Forgive me. Me and computers do not mix very well.