University of Minnesota

UThink News

« UThink downtime Sunday, November 15th | Main | UThink upgrade January 13, 9:30am - 11:30am »

The problem with pasting Microsoft code into Movable Type

If you use Microsoft Word to write out blog entries, you may notice some problems with your blog or UThink web site after you paste those entries in. That is because Microsoft Word puts in tons of extraneous tags and code that competes with the rest of the design of your site.

The easiest way around this problem is to not use MS Word to write out blog entries. If you do, copy and paste your entry into Notepad (or TextPad for the Mac) before you paste the entry into Movable Type.

If you already have a bunch of entries created, I have found a nifty little website that will strip out nasty Microsoft code:

Microsoft Mess Cleaner

It says it is only for MS Word 2000, but I have found that it works with newer versions of Word too.

Anyway, here is hoping future versions of Movable Type address this issue. Until then, watch out when you use Microsoft Word! Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

That Microsoft signs are really annoying... we had the same problems.

you really think this is true?

Hi
I love this site! I noticed the reviews of Sugar Queen. Author Sarah Addison Allen will have a novella coming out this fall from my company, BelleBooks, in audio and ebook. IN MY DREAMS is about the everyday magic of life in a small NC town. I can provide a review copy of the print manuscript if you'd like. All best, Deb Smith, Editorial, BB Audio