Extra Width

In verband met mijn radio rantings van vorige week, vergeten te vermelden dat ik sinds kort ook een trouw luisteraar ben van Extra Width op de Torhoutse radiozender TRO FM, gepresenteerd door Sofie Sap, u misschien niet onbekend (mij ook niet). Ze draait veel goede muziek die ik niet ken, veelal deuntjes waar een paar weerhaakjes en een vleugje nostalgie aan kleven. Iedere donderdag, van acht tot tien belgische tijd. En vind je de muziek maar niks, dan maken de reclamespotjes veel goed, want wie wil nu niet weten waar in Noord West-Vlaanderen je pannekoeken à volonté kunt eten voor slechts 2 euro. In de streek van de "sparrenstad" (geen idee dat Torhout de sparrenstad was) te ontvangen op 106.8, anders via het net.

Posted by vana0047 at 4:01 PM

I'll sure miss the Oostrozebeke skyline though....

skyline.JPG

Posted by vana0047 at 4:25 AM

gates are sooooo 1890

stront.JPG

Noted something weird on my way home today. The farmer who owns the land next door apparently does no longer believe in gates to block access to his pasture. He removed them and replaced them with a pile of menure (I think there is a betterword for this in English). In this part of Belgium, progress sometimes takes weird turns.

Posted by vana0047 at 3:58 PM

Baslog, now in English

WhenI am in the States I write in Dutch, now that I am in Belgium, I thought I should write in English....

The flight to Belgium was swift and comfortable. It was a bit of a hassle to get from the Twin Cities in to O’hare, but once in Chicago things got easier. I hopped right on the American Airlines flight, which was only 1/3 full, and left rainy, cold, foggy Chicago to arrive seven and a half hours later safe and sound in rainy, cold, foggy Belgium. I felt like the pilgrims from the Mayflower, who traveled across the Atlantic all the way from Plymouth only to arrive in….Plymouth ( © Eddie Izzard.)

If the weather left some room to doubt whether or not I actually traveled 4000 miles, the custom formalities made it clear I was back in my cute we-do-things-our-way slightly racist little country. This is what normally happens when you go through customs upon arriving in Belgium: on your way to the exit you walk through an area with about six to eight custom officials, who usually are too busy making wise cracks amongst themselves and taking smoke breaks to actually check luggage. I have only been stopped once, when I took my desktop computer in to Belgium. “What’s in there?” a customs guy asked. “A computer I bought in the States and am taking back to Belgium sir, I am a grad student in Minneapolis.” He looked at me in a boys will be boys kind of way and asked “so did you go to class a lot or did you skip to go (at which point he imitated someone drinking) instead?” In most countries the correct answer would be: “No sir, I took this opportunity to educate myself and attended all classes in order to someday come back and apply my knowledge to the betterment of our country.” But I knew that this would not be the password that would get me in to Belgium, so I gave him the wink wink, nudge nudge answer that I knew would get him off my back: “Yes sir, shitfaced at least twice a week.” Bingo, his face changed in to a welcoming smile, I was clearly an all-Belgian boy who was doing the honorable Belgian thing, no need to check this guy out.

So I was mildly surprised to see that there was huge line at customs Friday morning. I asked the guy in front of me who I noticed spoke in the same backward dialect as I, what was going on. “It is always the same when a plane with those guys comes in, always trouble.” I looked over to the customs area and saw what he meant by “those guys.” A plane from Kinshasa (The Congo) had landed, and that apparently had inspired the custom guys to taking a more pro-active stance. Every African was stopped and had to open his/her suitcase, which was quite the task since all of them happened to be taped shut. I could look straight in to the customs area and saw one customs official rummaging through one woman’s luggage for everyone to see (privacy is really only an abstract ideal in Europe, something we write in to our constitutions to make us feel morally superior to America, not something we really take all that seriously) that consisted entirely of some kind of spinach-like leaves. For some reason she was waived through, but the next women who had packed her suitcase full of vegetables, fruits and other weird looking wrapped-up semi-edibles was less lucky, the customs officer started to toss the items in a trash bin. She tried to grab them back out of his hands, but that only made him more resolute and all of a sudden I saw a Belgian customs officer pretending to take his job seriously. When she was protesting he angrily responded: “Restez là bas hein madame.” (“If you don’t like it here, you can stay there.”) He seemed to be really happy to be able to say this without feeling guilty. He also sounded like he really meant it. It was an ugly scene. These women had packed all these beautiful colorful foods so they could share a taste of Africa with their relatives living in grey and foggy Brussels, and some uniform with a hidden agenda all of a sudden decides to go on a power trip and lay down the law on them, while he lets every one with a white face pass by unhindered. I know the law is the law, but there is something wrong with applying it so selectively. Just let them take their veggies in. It is not like the crops in Europe are that vulnerable. It is Europe that exports its diseases and plagues to the rest of the world (Dutch Elm disease), our crops are
actually pretty resistant .

I was even more ashamed when I saw how some of the African American passengers who had been on my flight from Chicago were summoned in French to open their suitcases. The customs agents had cast their net of racial profiling over everyone who was black, whether they came off of the Kinshasa flight or not. I was glad to be out of there.

My parents waited at the other side and we went for breakfast at the Sheraton hotel in the airport, which served one heck of a brunch combining the abundance of America (tons of eggs, bacon and sausage) with the sophistication of Europe (some cheeses that were not orange, mini jars of jam, and real yoghurt). The perfect way to make the transition from my one home to the other one. It was perfect, until my mom got caught by some other guests when she crammed a breakfast roll in her purse.

Posted by vana0047 at 4:47 AM

back home

ready to get back home dec 30-jan 9. hope to see y'all.

Posted by vana0047 at 12:56 AM

De Toppper

Morgen dus Anderlecht-Club. Raar misschien, maar na al die jaren in Amerika volg ik het Belgisch voetbal nog steeds min of meer op de voet. Via sporza internet radio kan ik alle wedstrijden live volgen, en ik ben erg van Peter Van Den Bempts commentaar gaan houden. Minder kleurrijk en lyrisch dan Jan Wouters destijds, maar hij begint zich toch een eigen stijl eigen te maken die ik wel kan waarderen, hij is betrokken maar blijft altijd nuchter, en durft zijn commentaar al eens met wat kritiek en humor te doorspekken. Luisteren naar die live verslagen op een zatermiddag terwijl ik in een koffieshop wat zit te werken is
een aangename manier om de band met het thuisfront te onderhouden. Bijkomend voordeel is dat overwinningen net zo zoet blijven smaken, maar bittere nederlagen kan je gemakkelijk van je afzetten. Ik verbreek de verbindig, blijft weg van Belgische sites en concentreer me eventjes op de Minnesota Timberwolves, Vikings, Twins of Wild, teams waar ik emotioneel minder in geinvesteerd heb. (hoewel de Timberwolves me wel na aan het hart zijn komen te liggen). Geen anderlechtsupporters die je een week (jaar? decennium?) lang die 5-1 pandoering onder de neus wrijven, geen krantekoppen die je met de neus op de feiten drukken, of andere vormen van leedvermaak waar je mee moet afrekenen. Als club verliest ben ik zoals een kind dat zijn vingers in zijn oren steekt en LALALA begint te roepen, als ze winnen lees ik alles online en kijk naar goal online. It's the best of both worlds. Als ik naar huis kom ligt het voetbal meestal stil, dus zelf nog eens een wedstrijd bijwonen zit er niet in, maar daar lig ik niet echt wakker van. Beter dan vroeger wordt het toch nooit meer, ziehier een jeugdherinnering:

Op zondag naar het voetbal met mijn vader en mijn twee broers. Toen waren zondagen nog zondagen. Eerst nog vlug moeder de vrouw in Brugge (winkel)centrum afgedropt, en dan met de mannen naar St Andries. Op Olympia aangekomen beseft mijn vader dat zijn portefeuille nog in mijn moeders handtas zit. Moe, die op dit moment het geld dat voorbestemd was om ticktets, Verkinderen braadworsten en East-Side regalia mee aan te schaffen allicht aan het uigeven was aan een prik en kriebeltrui waar ze me maandag onder mijn luid protest in zou hijsen. Wat een ellende. Drie trillende onderlipjes waren genoeg om mijn vader zijn schaamte te doen verliezen en geld af te troggelen van een kennis van een kennis. Misschien ben ik herinneringen aan het samengooien, maar ik denk dat die match in kwestie een Club-Lokeren was. Een één-nulletje, maar het zag er lange tijd slecht uit. Club kon maar niet scoren en de frustratie in de zittribune liep hoog op. Een man die al de hele wedstrijd lang had zitten afgeven op Club bekende plotseling dat hij Lokeren supporter was en kreeg meteen lik op stuk: Een blauw zwart supporter, een oudere man, inclusief hoed en sigaar gaf hem een klap met zijn jas. Een erg bizarre vorm van rusthuishooliganisme. Maar kort voor tijd sloeg de frustratie om in euforie toen Caje alsnog de 1-0 binnenramde, een doelpunt dat ik me nog haarscherp herinner.

Een afvallende bal een meter of zeven buiten het strafschopgebied, Ceulemans buffelt een paar wase verdedigers overhoop en geeft een enorme lel op de bal zoals alleen hij dat kon. Afgezakte kousen, Puma’s met lekker lang overgeplooide lippen, been dat overdreven hoog doorzwaait, een heerlijke streep en twee seconden later hang ik boven iedereen uit. Mijn vader heeft me als een trofee boven zijn hoofd getild, ik zie de feestende massa in de tribune, sigaren vliegen door de lucht, krasse knarren die met gebalde vuisten een namiddag frustratie wegmeppen, de staantribunes zijn een massa feestend blauw zwart, ik probeer mijn blauw zwart sjaaltje spionkopgwijs strak boven het hoofd te spannen, wat niet meevalt bij al dat gehos. Wat een geluk. Zelfs een 0-6 morgen valt daarbij in het niets.

Posted by vana0047 at 11:44 AM

Morrissey wedstrijd op StuBru

Kreeg een paar dagen geleden een mail van nicht mien met de vraag of ik haar niet kon helpen met de Morrissey wedstrijd die momenteel loopt op studio brussel. hopelijk haalt ze het. Misschien een ideetje voor andere baslog lezers, prijs is een reis naar london inclusief Morrissey concert. De prijsvragen staan op de site van stu bru. Hier zijn de volgens mij correcte antwoorden:
1. groep waarvan Morrissey voorzitter van de fanclub was: New York Dolls
2. favoriete bloem: gladiool
3. wagen in 1994: Vauxhall
4. overeeenkomst tussen morrissey en de zanger van de Manic Street Preachers (James Dean Bradfield): zanger is genoemd naar James Dean, Morrissey schreef ooit een boek over James Dean ("James Dean is not dead").

[Dat boek ligt nog ergens thuis, mijn broer kocht het ooit tijdens een dagtrip naar Dover, is al een collector's item. tijdens die dagtrip kwamen we bij het terug keren The Cure tegen op de ferry. Ze zaten in het restaurant naast de tafel van mijn ouders en oom en tante, die dachten dat ze naast een stel kappers zaten.]

Anyhow, good luck en als je het haalt en je zit volgende week in London: hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly.

Posted by vana0047 at 1:23 AM

goethals gekte

Is dit slechts een indruk of begint de Raymond Goethals gekte in Belgie Koning Boudewijn proporties aan te nemen? Ik las net dat een politicus in Sint Truiden een straat de Raymond Goethals trainer tovenaar straat wil dopen. Effe dimmen zeker?

Posted by vana0047 at 3:35 PM

7 points

Club wint, anderlecht verliest: Vroeger een recept voor een geslaagd weekend,
nu toch nog steeds goed om een kille woensdagmiddag iets draaglijker te maken.

Posted by vana0047 at 4:01 PM

Serendipity

Ik zie net dat het Blokk arrest bevestigd is door Cassatie, en ik zit toevallig net
een gelijkaardige First Amendment case te lezen uit 1919, Whitney v. California. Serendipity at work. In de zaak Whitney, werd ene Anita Whitney veroodeeld omdat ze een groep geholpen had die een Communistische Partij wilde starten, die, volgens de overheid het oogmerk had een revolutie tegen het gezag te ontketenen. Whitney werd uiteindelijk veroordeeld, maar Justice Brandeis' "concurrence" (hij was van mening dat de veroordeling geldig was op basis van procedurele en technisch argumenten) is the claim to fame van
deze rechtszaak en zou een grote invloed hebben op de interpretatie van vrijheid van meningsuiting in de V.S.. Mijn advisor Jane Kirtley , een hevige voorvechtster van het vrije woord kan wellicht moeilijk de oogjes droog houden bij deze passage:

Those who won our independence believed that the final end of the state was to make men free to develop their faculties, and that in its government the deliberative forces should prevail over the arbitrary. They valued liberty both as an end and as a means. They believed liberty to the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty. They believed that freedom to think as you will and to speak as you think are means indispensable to the discovery and spread of political truth; that without free speech and assembly discussion would be futile; that with them, discussion affords ordinarily adequate protection against the dissemination of noxious doctrine; that the greatest menace to freedom is an inert people; that public discussion is a political duty; and that this should be a fundamental principle of the American government. They recognized the risks to which all human institutions are subject. But they knew that order cannot be secured merely through fear of punishment for its infraction; that it is hazardous to discourage thought, hope and imagination; that fear breeds repression; that repression breeds hate; that hate menaces stable government; that the path of safety lies in the opportunity to discuss freely supposed grievances and proposed remedies; and that the fitting remedy for evil counsels is good ones. Believing in the power of reason as applied through public discussion, they eschewed silence   coerced by law-the argument of force in its worst form. Recognizing the occasional tyrannies of governing majorities, they amended the Constitution so that free speech and assembly should be guaranteed.

Those who won our independence by revolution were not cowards. They did not fear political change. They did not exalt order at the cost of liberty. To courageous, selfreliant men, with confidence in the power of free and fearless reasoning applied through the processes of popular government, no danger flowing from speech can be deemed clear and present, unless the incidence of the evil apprehended is so imminent that it may befall before there is opportunity for full discussion. If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence. Only an emergency can justify repression. Such must be the rule if authority is to be reconciled with freedom. 5 Such, in my opinion, is the command of the Constitution. It is therefore always open to Americans to challenge a law abridging free speech and assembly by showing that there was no emergency justifying it. .....

Posted by vana0047 at 11:37 AM