PICU

This has been an eventful week. Rachael Scholten, Christie's friend from Grand Rapids, came to visit last weekend. Last Saturday (which by the way has been my only day off so far this month) we went to the midtown farmer's market, minnehaha falls, and Ikea. It was a chilly time for the first two, but we had fun. As for me, I have spent the last week in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). It has been a little more stressfull since the patients are more complicated and the attending physician is tougher. One of my patients this week was a 12 year old boy who had been hit by a car 23 days ago on his way to Dairy Queen. He had an epidural and subdural hematoma which was evacuated by neurosurgery who also did a craniectomy (basically they removed the blood from around his brain and removed his left front of his skull to allow the brain to swell through that larger hole rather than through the back of the brain which would rapidly kill him). He was not opening his eyes and was still on the vent on Saturday when I started in the PICU, but now his opens his eyes, is breathing spontaneously, and will follow simple commands like "squeeze my hand." This was exciting for all involved, especially the nurses who have been taking care of him since the accident. I listened in to the pediatric neurologist talk to his mother this morning and apparently that he is following simple commands is encouraging. He said he will likely be able to walk and talk again, but also will never be the child that he was before the accident again. He will transfer to another facility for what will be at least a couple months of rehab.

Posted by vand0527 at October 21, 2004 6:46 PM