Recently in Reading Responses Category

Chapter 4 Response

The chapter talked about how to use space and the how it can serve many functions. It discusses how white space can be a good way to create visual hierarchy. An interesting part of that is that white space is not always white, it can actually be any space that has no text or visual/graphic element. Without the use of white space and visual hierarchy our designs would be confusing and hard to understand. The use of white space in my booklet will be important because I would like to make sure the book is easy to read and visual pleasing. I think this is an extremely key point in design.

Chapter 2 & 3 Reading Responses!

The second chapter really focuses on the importance of the design process. For this particular project, I think looking at all the elements and paying closer attention to the detail, will make a major difference in my design as a whole. I specifically want to work on my measurements and how precise i am in terms of the grid system. By using a grid system for my farm booklet I will create a sense of unity and cohesion.
The third chapter talked about the grid system, which I have also discussed above, in terms of my design. I enjoyed learning about the many grid systems a designers can use, and how some are very "griddy" and other not grid like at all. All in all i thought that the readings did a good job going over the steps for the beginning design processes~

Anatomy 2

Anatomy 2 was my favorite of the three articles. I love the use of bright (pop) like colors and found it interesting how it made a difference if they used many colors it will appeal to a a more diverse audience. The different hues of colors had a direct effect on behavior, in this particular article they were rather bright and cheery! All in all i liked that each poster's history had so many pieces. Makes one think..."am i really that original?"

The work of Andy Warhol really does a great job in terms of the color and showing how color sets a mood....
warhol.png

Iranian Design

I thought this article was interesting... definitely something I don't normally read about. I liked the overall critique of the Iranian design. The posters were unique but the common problem seems to communication. It was hard to tell what the poster was selling/its message. Further reading the author talks about the lack of communication skill in the designs and informs us that it is not regularly taught in schools. Being artistic seems to be more important then communication. In todays day and age I think as designers we need to focus more on our basic communication skills in our designs more so then our art... If we can't convey a clear message, have we done our job right?

Charity Design

I found this chapter to be very interesting... I really liked the fact that companies work harder sometimes on charity work more so then a clients work. However what is the motivation behind taking so much more time and more effort into an "unpaid" client? The article mentions that pretty interesting, about all the charity work design companies do. It's neat that companies work harder on charity work than paid clients. I think it is great that charity work is done so well. Although the article goes on to state that the design companies tend to have more freedom working with charity. From a designers perspective I think that would be more motivating being able to use more of your own designs vs. someone else's. They can create work that is more "risky" perhaps go a little further outside the box.

Chapter Two: Color Theory

After reading the article, it instantly reminded me of 2-D design... Alot of the information was review, but non the less important in design. It took both watercolor 1 and 2 and I think the single most thing that helped me the most was my color charts. You simply can not put together all the possible colors that can be mixed in your head. I took a particular interest to how colors can be used globally all around the world and how they can be seen very differently. I don't think someone can study color too much... there are endless hues and shades.

The Astonish Me Problem... a reading response

The Astonish me Problem, is an article discussing the art of visual texture. It highlights the fact that even tho paper is 2D we can make things look dimension with textures and colors to give it a more appealing look. I like the concept that just because an object is 2D doesn't mean you can't make it have a 3D apperance! I never looked it that way, so it was an interesting view point for me. People tend to gravitate more towards and eye catching, perhaps more texture piece, then say a boring flat poster. I personally liked the articles reference to street post and and junction boxes becoming works or art and "limited editions" and not just poster sites. This is so true. Have you even been in a subway station? Some of those walls are plastered with posters, some are just giant ads but in away it becomes an art form.
Lastly the article covered the works of Shigeo Fukuda, he had the ability to take shapes and place them so to create a graphic mind trick. He used 1 to 2 colors (thus having a very limited palette) but this made his work really simple, yet had alot to look at. I really liked that style. Picture 10.png

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reading Responses category.

Project Process is the previous category.

Visual Research is the next category.