« Discussion--Week 8 | Main | "The Undertaking" on Frontline »

Discussion--Week 9

Your blog assignment will be free-choice this week; you can post thoughts
about your readings, questions or comments about your writing, or anything
else related to the class.

Writing problems for visual thinkers is different than those for verbal thinkers. For example, visual thinkers often have trouble following the logical sequence of a storyline or important details that make transitions. Unfortunately, these problems are often mistaken for just being a bad writer.
I have similar problems with my reading. I don't follow the stories well and many times have to reread it. When I write, I find myself using a lot of passive sentences and I always have to go back and change it. In an interview with Junot Diaz, Diaz compares planning the structure of his writing with forming geometry in his mind. I think this is really interesting because I find myself writing around images and repitive actions that are always being replayed in my head

I feel like this this class I can really work on the creative side of my writing, which I enjoy more, but just don't get the chance to do very often in other classes. I am a very visual person so I have found when I go back and read what I write that I really try to describe the five senses basically, to try and put the person inside of the story. I have found through the readings we have had assigned that the essayists who exercise this writing style, are the ones who really get me caught up and interested in the story. I have also experimented with different structures of the essay, trying to learn from the different essays we read, and I think this is helping me to become a better and more versatile writer. I feel like being exposed to so many different writing styles of different writers in this class has helped a lot of us into really working on improving our skills as writers, and will help us in the future.

sorry the one above was written by me I just forgot to add my name.

I have attended a good number of Meet-the-Author events in the past or been to places where they have writers as guest speakers. And the number one piece of advice that most of them give is that, in order to be successful as a writer, one must put forth great effort and devotion. It's not enough to just want to be a writer or to brainstorm excellent ideas. One needs to force themself to sit at that desk, whether it be for one, two, or five hours, cut themselves off from everything and everyone, and just fill the pages.

I hear this suggestion, this simple truth, over and over, and yet I cannot bring myself to dedicate the time to writing. I get so wrapped up in everything else around me, and I postpone writing for another day, another week, another month. I never do it unless it's an expectation or a graded assignment.

Sure, I jot down marvelous ideas every now and then, fully enthused by the potential they have, but I never give them life on the page, and so they die, their shelf-life and my imagination only lingering for so long. I don't know why it is that I cannot bring myself to isolation just long enough to put even a few words down; anything concrete is a step in the right direction, better than a mountain of unwritten ideas, brilliant in theory but completely useless until solid.

Sometimes, I think it is unfair of me to say that writing is my passion or that I aspire to be a writer, if I can hardly write at all.

I don't really know about my exact writing style. Sometimes I feel like I use my sarcasm as an easy way out of writing about difficult situations (which is why I tried more of a memoir approach this time around). I don't necessarily find it really easy to write about things that have happened in my life, but more that I'm just so ready to put the thoughts to words that I'm bursting to separate myself from thoughts with paper. I really don't know if that makes sense, but that's another reason why I like writing the essays in this class. Sometimes I need to write things down to internalize and conquer them. I need to think of that perfect adjective so I can realize exactly what adjective I think. I need to sit down and vent to a non-judgmental audience. I need to get out my point, get out my words and organize (even if in a very messy way).
I was talking with someone in a freshman writing class today about a paper they are writing for that class. It's the typical research paper about an assigned topic with cited sources. I realized how nice it's been to be able to choose what we write about and how we write it. I feel like I'm actually getting to write in my own style and thoughts, instead of just regurgitating and mindlessly processing dull information.
And Korri: I don't think that not setting aside "writing time" makes you any less of a writer. Honestly, I know there are plenty of times I just don't feel like sitting down and writing. Sure, writing your thoughts down would probably be nice (because I'm sure they are magnificent:), but I don't think you should be discouraged. You can write, you just sometimes don't want to. I think that is just fine.

I really enjoy this class and how we get to explore and read great essayists and writers personal writings. I think it helps a lot when trying to write myself; it's nice to be able to mimic their styles and get ideas. It also helped me to realize that personal essays don't mean the writer has to come to a revelation or a drastic change in their lives, it's just how they feel. This made finding a second topic a lot easier, along with the in-class writings!

When I first signed up for this class I was worried. "Essay" had so many bad connotations, and I was worried I'd have to spend a majority of my time figuring out citation styles and doing research for topics I couldn't care less about. When class started though, I found out I'd been worrying about informative, formal essays, and this class was about the personal esssay, focusing on writing styles, and literary techniques. It was a nice surprise, and I've since enjoyed the opportunities to grow as writer and reader literature.

I like the varity of authors we read in this class. I feel like looking at how they write has helped me improve my writing. It suprised me when I first found out this class was about the personal essay, but I've really enjoyed learning how to write a good personal essay. Mimicing the structure of some of the authors we've read made the second essay easier for me to write. I am a better writer because of this class.

I have enjoyed this class very much. It has given me a break from my science/math classes and has actually made me reconsider what I'd like to major in. I have read the book, "The Undertaking" so these excerpts were fun to read again. I remember especially liking these passages as I was reading the book and thinking about the societal comments Lynch was making. I am excited to attend the Lynch reading tonight.
I don't know what to think about my essay. It didn't come along as well as I hoped it would have and I'm afraid it may be confusing for readers.

I had trouble with this last essay. I guess just take it with a grain of salt. I'm looking forward to reading through another wave of essays. Godspeed.

I am not enjoying discussion of the essays so far- I haven't felt extremely passionate or moved about the essays we've read lately. Maybe I'm not in the right state of mind. I don't know. I'm ready for a break in routine- yeah for workshop! :P