« Discussion--Week 12 | Main | Discussion--Week 13 »

Critical paper guidelines

Download file

Reminder: You may use internet sources if you cite them, but you may not use Wikipedia as your main source.

This paper is due in class on Monday, Dec. 8.
Length: 3-5 typed, double-spaced pages with 1? margins, using 12 pt. Times New Roman.
Use MLA format . (Please consult the MLA Handbook. If you don’t already have one, the guidelines are probably available online.) Cite all your sources.
~~
This is a more traditional college research/critical analysis paper. For this paper, please select an author and essay from one of our texts (Lopate or Cohen; if you want to use an author from our Moodle readings or a handout, please clear it with me first).
You may choose an author that we covered this semester, or one that we didn’t; however, the essay you select for the analysis must be one that we did not discuss. Again, if you want to write on an essay that does not appear in our texts, you must clear it with me first.
Here is what I’m looking for:
• Biographical information on the essayist. I am especially interested in any information you can find about the author’s writing process. This should comprise no more than half of the total paper length.

• A brief summary of the essay you are going to explore. Do not “pad? your paper with an extensive book report. This summary should take up no more than half a page, and is intended to show me how you have interpreted what you read.

• An analysis of the essay using the terms and concepts we’ve used in our class discussions (structure, language, symbolism and metaphor, insight, image, etc.). You may also talk about the historical context in which the essay was written, if applicable.

• Full MLA citations of any sources consulted.

Please come to your conference prepared to tell me which author and essay you are planning to write about.