« Discussion--Week 10 | Main | Discussion--Week 12 »

Discussion--Week 11

Please reflect on your creative nonfiction writing experience this fall. Was this your first experience with creative writing? Do you think you'll continue? What was the most difficult part for you?

This wasn't my first experience with creative writing. I took a "Creative Expressions" class Senior year in high school, and I really enjoyed it. I had originally taken it because I knew the teacher was very lenient; I was planning to have a nice "slack-off" class, but to my surprise, they changed the teacher that year. So, while I actually ended up having to do some work, the class turned out to be very helpful and a joy. It completely changed my writing style (for the better). Thanks for that, Mr. Laughlin.

I do believe that I will continue with creative writing, albeit at my own bumbling pace. Most definitely, I will continue to work on my writing overall, though, and aim to progress as far as I can.

Strangely, the most difficult part of non-fiction creative writing, I found, was the non-fiction itself. I was thrown off by the whole "non-fiction" bit; I had always categorized non-fiction as autobiographies, science reports, and journalism. This course thus far has shown me the other aspects of non-fiction writing and since then, I have grown fond of the non-fiction, personal essay.

I never had done much creative non-fiction before. All my classes in high school wanted research papers, or book reports or poetry analysis, but nothing personal. Actually, I take that back. My sophmore year we had to write 3 IWA's every 6 weeks. These were short papers that were either about the reading we were doing or literary analysis with the occasional personal essay thrown in. I never got much out of this because I never got enough feedback on my writing.
I want to continue writing creative non fiction. I want to improve my writing skills and I never realized how helpful it is to get your experiences out on paper. But this was also the most difficult part creative non fiction writing. I hate admitting my faults and feelings, and often, I don't clearly see what it is I am feeling or thinking. I want to write in order to improve this skill as well. I have learned much from this class.

I have never done creative nonfiction before. My high school did not stress writing at all; even though I took a lot of English courses I never wrote much of anything. (I am still bitter about that! Thank you, mediocre school system, for not preparing me for college at all!) I used to do a lot of creative writing on my own, but in the last couple of years I haven’t written at all. I don’t really like writing creative nonfiction at this point, because I don’t have anything to write about! It was really difficult for me to have to write about myself so much. I think I have some issues with myself that I need to get past before I can write any creative nonfiction that I am proud of. Later in life I might return to it, but for now I think I should stick to fiction! However, writing creative nonfiction has made me realize that I miss creative writing a lot, so I will probably start writing fiction again.

I feel enlightened with my writing experience this fall.
Getting past thinking that everything I wrote about myself was stupid was my main obstacle.
In high school besides my generic English classes, there was this one called Creative Writing. I liked it a lot because we wrote fictional stories and poems. I used to think I would continue writing fiction and maybe poems but haven't much since then. Creative non-fiction is much harder for me than fiction, and I don't see myself wanting to continue with it.

I have done creative writing before and some what I suppose would be considered more of a journalistic creative non-fiction before. I did editorials for our school paper quite often, and most of those went along the lines of political satire etc. However, I liked being able to explore the more memoir-esque style in this class. I had never really written about myself before, and there was something very relieving about being able to write about something deeply personal and organize my thoughts into words on a page.

This was my second experience with creative nonfiction. Last year I took a writing course in high school in which I had to write a few personal essays; however the topics were a bit narrower and the lengths were a bit shorter. I liked the way that in this class we studied a lot of different types of personal essays. This was something that I had not experienced before. Having the chance to experiment more with the structure of my essays was also interesting. The hardest part of writing my essays was (and has always been) choosing a topic. If I choose a good topic I feel like the essay writes itself, but if I choose a bad topic I will sit at the computer for hours without really getting any decent writing done.

I also took a creative writing class in high school. That class was a lot of fun but a lot of work. I can see how many people really like to write. Writing something you feel passionate about can be very addictive.

There were times in my writing process for this last essay where I felt that I needed to finish a thought, to make one part just the way I want it before moving onto anything else. However, this desire is somewhat limited within the writing process itself, meaning, after I was done, I didn't feel like writing more.

I don't think I would enjoy pursuing writing on my own free time. I'm not very motivated outside of class. I'd much rather talk about it than write.

I've done some creative writing on my own time before, but I have never taken a class on it, nor had I ever heard of creative nonfiction. I have found though, that I really enjoy it, and it is so nice to be able to write more freely in a classroom setting because most classes always stress the research/argumentative papers. The part I find most difficult about this genre however is finding the topic. Once I find a topic to write about I love writing about it. It is difficult for me sometimes to think of a topic I think I can easily write about, and can find meaning in. I definitely think I will pick up creative writing again after this class is over-I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

This class was my first experience with creative writing. Most of my work before was very formal writing as you can see from my first essay. I found that I enjoy creative writing a lot more than formal writing because it’s more fun to write and you can do a lot more with it. For example, instead of just writing a thesis and supporting it throughout your essay, you can weave a story into your essay which in my opinion gets your point or meaning of your essay across much more effectively. I think I will continue creative writing because I enjoyed it so much…I can’t promise any good results…but I will try to continue. The most difficult part for me was “showing? not telling my audience everything in a summary, other than that everything else went okay.

Every creative writing class or workshop that I have ever done was not a nonfiction base. I have written nonfiction before, but never anything like this. I think that the hardest part for me was sticking to one central topic within any one focus. For example, in my Culver's piece, I had a lot of trouble narrowing my Culver's experience into discussing one particular aspect of it as a whole. I definitely want to continue with writing and I would really like to do more with this particular genre. I think that spontaneous creativity has always been a stronger subject for me, but I thought that this was very interesting and I would like to get better at it.

I don't think I've written "creative nonfiction" before, but if I have, I didn't know to call it that, and I certainly wasn't receiving formal instruction on going about it. I'm grateful for the chance this class offers to focus on writing itself rather than content. I've enjoyed reading and writing on so many different topics, and I've enjoyed, during the writing process, to put on paper whatever I feel like, not having to worry about course material or source citations. Writing for this course has been liberating, and I think I'll keep doing it in the future.

This isn't my first creative writing course but this one has been unique from the ones I have taken already. I enjoy writing and this class has afforded me the opportunity to do so. I have written about things I haven't thought about in a long time. This has been a worthwhile class.

I've had a lot of fun in this creative writing class; it is my first experience (we read a lot last year, but never really wrote this sort of creative fiction), and not really what i expected. I always believed that creative writing would be easier or 'more fun' than writing research papers, but I've realized how difficult it has been. I find it hard just to write about myself, and sort of boring, but at the same time a bit enlightening on what one is able to learn about oneself. I was more interested with reading other peoples works, and not my own, so I most likely won't proceed writing, but definitely reading creative writing.

At first I was extremely unsure of how this class would go for me. I've come to enjoy it. My first experience with creative writing was a long time ago when my middle school had a contest for some twins tickets. I don't recall what I wrote about but I did win the tickets, so it must not of been too bad. Anyways, The most difficult part for me was choosing a topic I thought others would not get bored with reading even though I'm sure some people did. i also was uneasy about sharing personal experiences with people I don't know that well. I'm not sure if I'll continue, it depends mostly on what is required for my major. This has been a good thing though and I've learned a lot about creative writing.

My creative writing experience this fall has been pretty awesome. I was exposed to some creative-writing styled English classes in high school, but I haven't ever had the chance to participate in in depth workshops like the ones we hold in our class. The most difficult part of this semester has been conjuring essay material ideas, but I guess this has also been the most stimulating part, too. I think I will continue with creative writing. I hope to get into some engaging classes this next semester.