« Discussion--Week 13 | Main | What to consider when writing your revision narrative »

Discussion--Week 14

What is your favorite book and why?

I don't have one favorite book, but the two that spring to mind that I always think fondly of are (ital.) The Phantom Tollbooth and (ital.) Passage to India. Passage to India stays with me because of the culture it introduced me to, the time before India was free from British rule and the dynamics of society there. I like how the end isn't too morbid or too sunshine-and-daisies, but remains hopeful.
The Phantom Tollbooth combines both childhood fantasy and deep insight. I still enjoy reading it today. I love how Milo can only get to the Island of Conclusions by jumping and being stuck in the "Doldrums."

I don't know if I can narrow it down to just one book, but one of them is "The Luzhin Defense" by Vladimir Nabokov. The main character Luzhin walks a tightrope all this life in the hopes of becoming Grand Master in chess. Nabokov describes the journey in a gorgeous way, despite his over-abundant vocabulary and run-on sentences. The reading gets thick, almost murky, sometimes, but I think Nabokov is a genius in his writing.

This is a tough question because I read a ton and I love soo many books..but I have to say, being the nerd that I am, Harry Potter books are by far the BEST books I've ever read :) The seventh one I would say (Deathly Hallows) is my favorite book. I love the Harry Potter series because as each book came out, I grew up as Harry did, so that made them more relatable. Also, they combine action, humor, and mystery together, while weaving in complex themes of life and death, but also simpler themes of growing up, friendships, loyalty, and trust--some things I think any reader could understand. I have many other favorites too like Wuthering Heights, The Truth About Forever, and I'm really into Shakespeare, but at least for me, Harry Potter tops them all.

I think I'll go with Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451."
Bradbury writes a lot of really awesome speculative fiction and sci-fi/mystery type literature. "Fahrenheit 451" is among his most successful pieces and explores the concepts of a dystopian society where freaky-deaky firemen set fire to books. It's a quick read, but the language is very stimulating and the message is profound.

I don't have a favorite book, but I would say "The Bluebird and the Sparrow" by Janette Oke is in my top-ten list. The book is about two sisters (which I can easily relate to) who go through much of their life misunderstanding each other. I love this story because it really made me stop and think about my relationship with my younger sister and it is one of the few books that make me reflect on myself.

My favorite book is The Kite Runner by Khaled Houssini. It shows the various parts that form the relationship between father and son, as well as cultural aspects involving class and its place in a Afghan cultural and society. Not at any point did it drag on, or become boring. It was beautifully written, touching story that was WAY better than the movie.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is my favorite because I find it the most meaningful book I've read so far. I like its simplicity of a huge theme. Also with everytime I read it, I see how my life is changing because each time I put together a different path for myself, trying to make it parallel to the way Santiago carries out his.

the top post is mine, sorry

To be completely honest I haven't read any books that I would consider my favorite. Lately they haven't been ones that I have enjoyed reading. I know one of my favorite children's book is Oh the Places You'll Go. This is my favorite because it has actually meaning behind it.

My favorite children's book is Goodnight Moon. As a child I made my mom read it to me so often that I had it memorized. Of the books I have read recently, I would have to agree with Alex. I really enjoyed Hosseini's writing style, and I cannot what to get my hands on a copy of his other book, A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Sorry, I tried posting this about a week ago, but I guess for some reason it didn't go through. My favorite childhood book was Anne of Green Gables (although I did love The Phantom Tollbooth as well). I love reading dystopian novels, such as 1984, We, and Brave New World and just political satire in general (Catch 22, Animal Farm). I really enjoy Russian history (The Gulag Archipelago) and there will always be a place for Nancy Drew on my bookshelf.

Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It's very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.