Week 7 Definition

Last Week's Definition: Leadership is a group or person's ability to work individually and in teams with a set of goals for motivation. Leaders should be able to know their own ethics and differentiate between which are right from wrong. Most importantly leaders must be trustworthy, caring, honest, open and respectful.

This Week's Definition: Leadership is a group or person's ability to work individually and in teams with visions and goals. Leaders should know their own morals and ethics in order to lead a group of people. Also, leaders need to have self confidence, respect, trust, care and be open minded.

Analysis: For this week's definition I left the first sentence the same because I still believe that leadership can be shown through a person individually or as a team and with a vision in mind. For the second sentence I changed it a little bit because I think that leaders should know their own ethics but with their morals too. It's essential for leaders to know what is right from wrong and what to believe. Most importantly leaders need self confidence which was something i added too. As Boyatzis (2006) stated, "People change. People change in desired ways but not without intentional efforts," (p, 607-623). I agree with Boyatzis's statement because leaders should always be open up to changes even if it's intentionally or not.

Citation: Boyatzis, R. E. (2006). "An Overview of Intentional Change from a Complexity Perspective." Journal of Management Development, 25(7), 607-623. doi:10.1108/02621710610678445

Week 6 Definition

Last Week's Definition: Leadership is a group or person's ability to work individually and in teams. As a leader you need to have a personal and leadership vision/purpose to why you are leading and showing trust and respect for all people. When making a decision don't overlook the easy choices because it should be seen as important as the harder choices too.

This Week's Definition: Leadership is a group or person's ability to work individually and in teams with a set of goals for motivation. Leaders should be able to know their own ethics and differentiate between which are right from wrong. Most importantly leaders must be trustworthy, caring, honest, open and respectful.

Analysis: For this week's definition I did a little mix of last week and week 4 definition. I believe that it's still important for leaders to have the ability to work alone and in groups. Also, leaders should always be trustworthy, caring, honest and respectful toward their others including being open minded. The only thing that I changed was that I added in the ethic part. After reading two of the ethics articles, I believe that leadership should also involve ethics and leaders should know which one is right and which one is wrong. As Paul and Elder (2006) stated, "if we choose, we are capable of learning to recognize when we are acting so as to enhance the well-being of others and when we
are acting so as to harm them." (p. 36). I agree with them on this statement because leaders shouldn't be selfish and consider others.

Citation: Paul, R., & Elder, L. (2006). "The Function of Ethics -- and Its Main Impediement." Understanding the Foundations of Ethical Reasoning (pp. 4 - 36). Dillon Beach, CA: Foundation for Critical Thinking.

Week 5 Definition

Last week's Definition: Leadership is a group or person's ability to work well with others and individually with a goal/vision for motivation. To be a good leader, he/she must be able to differentiate between their weakness and strength and allow others to help them with their weakness. Leaders should be trustworthy, respectful, and helpful in order to build a good relationship among others.

This Week's Definition: Leadership is a group or person's ability to work individually and in teams. As a leader you need to have a personal and leadership vision/purpose to why you are leading and showing trust and respect for all people. When making a decision don't overlook the easy choices because it should be seen as important as the harder choices too.

Analysis: For this week's definition I made little changes. I added that leaders should have personal and leadership visions to why they are leading.I believe that before a person can become a leader, s/he must find a purpose for leading. Also, all the choices a leader make shall not be overlook. The only thing that I left the same was for a leader to show trust and respect for all people (meaning diversity). I still think that it's important for a leader to keep an open mind, trusting and respecting all kinds of people. As Lee and King (2001) stated, "Your leadership vision needs to be grounded in your personal vision. Your personal vision serves your leadership vision in a very important way: it lets you know what leadership roles to accept or decline, seek or avoid" (p. 43). I think this statement from the reading is very important because all leaders should have a personal and leadership vision before leading.

Citation: Lee, R. J., & King, S. N. (2001). "Ground your leadership vision in a personal vision." Discovering the Leader in You: A guide to realizing your personal leadership potential (pp. 31 - 54). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, Inc.

Week 4 Definition

Last week's definition: Leadership is a group or person's ability to work independently or with others. People or groups with leadership skills are willing to open up, solve conflicts within themselves or in their group, create goals/purposes, take action, and include diversity.

This week's definition: Leadership is a group or person's ability to work well with others and individually with a goal/vision for motivation. To be a good leader, he/she must be able to differentiate between their weakness and strength and allow others to help them with their weakness. Leaders should be trustworthy, respectful, and helpful in order to build a good relationship among others.

Analysis: My leadership definition this week was changed a little bit. The only thing that stayed the same was the idea of leaders being able to work independently and as a group. I think it is essential for leaders to be able to work both independently and as a group because that shows how they can be open minded. I added the strengths and weakness in the definition because I believe leaders should be able to know their weakness and try to improve on it. By having some of these elements, it will help leaders to build trustworthy relationship like what Rath and Conchie (2009) stated, "As Kofi Annan explained, If you don't have relationship, you start from zero each time." (p. 84).
I agree with this statement because leadership is mostly based on relationship.

Citation: Rath, T. & Conchie, B. (2009). "Understanding why people follow." Strengths based leadership: Great leaders, teams, and why people follow. (pp. 79 - 85). New York: Gallup Press.

This is a private blog. Please sign in