Frederick W. Taylor

Prompt 6

After reading the article, what was your impression on Frederick W. Taylor's scientific method of improving productivity and his suggestions on improving performance?

The impression I had after finished reading the article on the Principle of Scientific Management, was, wow, this was a lot of reading. Off to the side just thinking about the extensive reading, my impression on the entire text was to achieve at the best level, there must be a plan and the plan is to be sustainable through by applying the scientific principles correctly. Through the scientific management, anyone can be taught to perform a job task without having any skills. Frederick believed people rely too much on the rule-of-thumb to get their work done rather than the method of scientific method. He suggested that time is one of the most basic task to increase employee production. By using the time studies, it would time a worker's motion and verify an employee's best way of performance on the job task. A few examples he used to show time studies were by trying out the pig iron, the science of shoveling and bricklaying. These all consist of focusing on motions and timing. .Different people work at different pace and each individual tend to find their own way of doing the same trade and work. So with that, Taylor said, the most effective and quickest way should be implemented in a work environment to get the job done faster and production to rise. While reading the article, did you find any relating readings to capital and state?

Emerging Sexuality and Economies of Pleasure

"The homeless woman of modern cities is the emancipated woman". Toward the end of the article, Gender and American History Since 1890 by Joanne Meyerowitz on page 48, this quote reminded me of what I am learned in one of my class about East Asia stories on ghosts and foxes. With the knowledge I gained from my East Asia class, the article we read by Joanne Meyerowitz mentioned similar subjects which popped up about the sexual geography and gender economy. In that class, we talked about how most Chinese stories deal with women who are foxes and ghost and would walk around at night to seduce any men who walks by. The woman would use her physical beauty to lure the man and exchange sexual services. One topic which related the East Asian class to this reading is the definition of a free woman. Someone who does not live under her parent's watch and run freely to do what ever she pleases. Relating this back to the quote I mentioned earlier, a homeless woman is a free woman to do what she wants. If she wants to make a living, she can gold-dig anyone with money by the use of sexual attraction. After reading through both articles it, talks about the gender sexuality of men and women during the earlier years.
What was your reaction to the quote, "The homeless woman of modern cities is the emancipated woman" and how do you feel about the sociologist early portrayal view on men exploiting naive women and women gold-digging men? Is this a fair statement to say that it is apart of women history to please men into giving her what she wants and yet at the same time he gets what he want? (See last paragraph on page 47 of our text, Sexual Geography and Gender Economy page 61.)