Emerging Sexuality and Economies of Pleasure

"The homeless woman of modern cities is the emancipated woman". Toward the end of the article, Gender and American History Since 1890 by Joanne Meyerowitz on page 48, this quote reminded me of what I am learned in one of my class about East Asia stories on ghosts and foxes. With the knowledge I gained from my East Asia class, the article we read by Joanne Meyerowitz mentioned similar subjects which popped up about the sexual geography and gender economy. In that class, we talked about how most Chinese stories deal with women who are foxes and ghost and would walk around at night to seduce any men who walks by. The woman would use her physical beauty to lure the man and exchange sexual services. One topic which related the East Asian class to this reading is the definition of a free woman. Someone who does not live under her parent's watch and run freely to do what ever she pleases. Relating this back to the quote I mentioned earlier, a homeless woman is a free woman to do what she wants. If she wants to make a living, she can gold-dig anyone with money by the use of sexual attraction. After reading through both articles it, talks about the gender sexuality of men and women during the earlier years.
What was your reaction to the quote, "The homeless woman of modern cities is the emancipated woman" and how do you feel about the sociologist early portrayal view on men exploiting naive women and women gold-digging men? Is this a fair statement to say that it is apart of women history to please men into giving her what she wants and yet at the same time he gets what he want? (See last paragraph on page 47 of our text, Sexual Geography and Gender Economy page 61.)

This page contains a single entry by vangx492 published on February 12, 2011 1:37 PM.

Frederick W. Taylor is the next entry in this blog.