« San Francisco’s Japantown holds festival | Main | Timberwolves win in overtime »

Minneapolis man charged with 2005 killing

The Star Tribune reported Thursday a Minneapolis man was charged for the killing of a Minneapolis woman in 2005, through the use of the state’s DNA database.

Antonio Medina, 33, who had lived in Minneapolis, was charged with a count of second-degree, intentional murder for the death of Laura Lynn DeMeules, 33, in November of 2005. DeMeules had been strangled and her naked body was found in a ditch near Interstate Hwy. 35, just west of Northfield.

Medina was arraigned and bail was set for $1 million by Rice County Judge Gerald Wolf, court officials said.

DeMeules case had gone unsolved for two years before Medina was convicted of a felony DWI in Hennepin County. A DNA sample was taken from Medina and sent to the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in December 2007, where it was matched with a fingernail from DeMeules’ body.

In February, police interviewed Medina and he admitted to picking up DeMeules, while he was drunk and on either crack or cocaine. Medina told authorities the woman “freaked out? and he choked her to death in his pickup.

The Pioneer Press reported Medina told officials the woman had scratched his face and that he does not remember taking off her clothes. Afterwards, Medina returned home to his apartment.