Have a video.

The Id is a part of Sigmund Freud's hypothesis on the structure of personality. There are three parts to the structure: The Ego, which is the rational part of a person's mind; the Superego, which is a person's sense of right and wrong; and there is the Id, a person's basic instincts and impulses.

The Id focuses on pleasure, on what a person wants to do for themselves. The libido, or sex drive, is the most commonly known drive of the Id, though there are many others.

Rocky Horror Picture Show is basically a 90 minute long explanation of this. One of the most prominent lines in the film/play is "Give yourself over to absolute pleasure," and the whole movie is pretty much one giant singalong orgy, so I thought posting a song from it would be a nice example.

Stress (Writing #4)

I think five years from now I will probably remember what we learned about stress the most. I think this because it is something that is in your life all the time and it is hard to get rid of. Learning about all of the different stress reduction and relaxation techniques will come in handy and I will remember them down the road. You can find stress everywhere in your life, whether it be school related, work related, family related, etc. For me, I find it very difficult to escape stress. There is always a lot of pressure put on me for different things. For example, there is pressure to do well in school and I have expectations to live up to. These expectations are brought up by my parents and I want to please them. Also, school can be overwhelming at times and I get stressed when I have a lot on my plate.
Another thing I think I will remember five years from now is the concept of developing. It is a basic part of life and an easy thing to follow as I get older. All of the stages that are included and each step to growing up are things I will remember.

Five years

Personally, as I read the textbook I think about every concept and apply it to a real world scenario that relates to me somehow. As i read more on each chapter I feel like I have a slightly better feeling about being as a whole. I can understand more of the little things that go on everyday like why i become so stressed at the smallest things and how to cope with that stress and how to reduce my reaction to daily stressors in the future all the way to why i end up buying food at mcdonalds when i had only intended on getting a drink.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Over the course of 5 years i hope to remember most of what i can from this course, ill just sit back and hope it all becomes crystallized intelligence or perhaps as things go on from day to day basis's i will have situations that trigger recall of all these memories about psychology that i have. But if i have to choose one specific topic to remember i would go with calssical and opreant conditioning. This is a subject that sticks in my mind very well and no matter how much time passes im able to recall most if not all aspects of this concept. While reading about it this semester i remember everything about it from my highschool psychology class. Remembering this topic may not be especially important but its fun to relate it to day to day things, and to figure out why it is we do some of the things we do in our free time.

Groupthink

Groupthink is concept where when people of a group need to come to a consensus on a topic they tend to work towards coming up with an idea thats favored by all instead of putting actual thought into the decision. This is very counter productive becuase the point of creating groups is to combine everyones knowledge and in fact it just dumbs everyone down.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Personally ive experienced this a lot. It seems to me that when im in groups everyone seems to have much less input then if it where their actual opinion. Sometimes in group when we split the work amongst the group we can get more thoughtful input on each little bit and end up with a final product that reflects the groups combined intellect. I had more typed out but i just tryed adding a picture and it deleted this whole blog post and i had to do it over -_-

Physical Maturation

The Power of Puberty

Our bodies usually start changing in our teenage years, changing in physical appearance and that is when hormones change we teenagers start puberty. Menarche is the beginning on menstruation which allows women to have children, usually starting around 13 years of age. According to Snopes.com, there is a record of the youngest mother, at age 5. Lina Medina, a 5 year old child gave birth on May 14th, 1939. This extraordinary story needs extraordinary evidence, and this definitely shows that sometimes there are rare things that are real even when they sound extremely unbelievable. The scientific principle, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence proves that some times there are cases that are not what is commonly known.

In this article, it also says that Lina had to have a cesarean section at 7 months and 21 days. Her body was not matured enough to keep a baby safe for the full 9 months, typically associated with the amount of time needed for the baby to mature fully in the mother's stomach. Even though her body was not able to keep the baby for the full time, she had already started puberty. She started her menarche when we was 3 years old. This just goes to show that there are extraordinary cases that people would not believe if there was not cases that showed that a 5 year old could have her puberty and have a baby.

Snopes article: Lina Medina

Hair and Fingernail Growth After Death

http://www.snopes.com/science/nailgrow.asp

For this blog I will be evaluating a pseudoscience claim that hair and fingernails continue to grow after their death. I found this article on snopes.com and it is easy to evaluate without even having to use any of the principles of scientific thinking that it is false. However, if someone couldn't tell this just by reading the article they could use the principle of "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence". This principle states that whenever we evaluate a psychological claim, we should ask ourselves whether this claim runs counter to many things we know already, and if it does, whether the evidence is as extraordinary as the claim. Obviously this claim is very extraordinary, considering that when a person dies so does everything in their body and they begin to decompose. However the article does claim that the body does appear to do strange things after death, but all of them are because of the decomposition process rather than extraordinary or supernatural forces (such as continuing growth of fingernails). It is actually an optical illusion that our hair and nails continue to grow after death because our flesh dries out, and pulls away from the nails and hair making it look like the nail or hair is longer than before, when actually it is just the skin around it that is shrinking. It is just a misconception in the way that we perceive it, like many pseudoscience claims. Although this claim wasn't to hard to decipher untrue, it is always helpful to know the scientific principles when faced with a skeptical claim.

Missing discussion - DS Per:

High Openness to Experience: Lady Gaga
Behaviors: She dares to do things that no other people would do. Her performances and songs always push her limit and express her willingness to take a risk. She is open to new experience and adventures.
lady_gaga.jpg

Low Openness to Experience: Grumpy Dwarf from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"
Behaviors: He dislikes and disapproves Snow White once he sees her. He refuses to talk to her, let her stay at their house, wash his hands, or sing with the rest. He sees everything as boring or annoying, which shows that he is not so open to new experience.
thumbnail.aspx.jpg

High Conscientiousness: Barack Obama
Behaviors: He is responsible and trustable, that's why he was elected to be the President. Not only people of the United States, but also people around the world believe in him and support because he seems to be careful and responsible about what he says and does.
obama.jpg

Low Conscientiousness: Lindsey Lohan
Behaviors: She is known for being a bad girl. She is seen as one of the worst role model for young girls. Her behaviors and acts are not appropriate and responsible.
lindsay-lohan-drunk.png

High Extraversion: Oprah Winfrey
Behaviors: Everyone likes her. She is the type of person whom you want to hang out with after work and talk about all the craziness that happened to you that day.
oprah-tickets.jpg

Low Extraversion: Computer Science students
Behaviors: This is a typical stereotype toward computer science students. They see to spend all their time playing computer games and writing source code for useless programs and most of them have no social interactions due to lack of time and interest. However, I believe it's false because I have a cool computer science friend who likes adventures.
video_sidworks.jpg

High Agreeableness: Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook
Behaviors: People like her. She is one of the rising female executive out there. Everyone wants to work with her, because she can turn her work enjoyable and effective. People who worked with her in McKinsey&Company, DC, and Google say about her nothing but good things. They still want to work with her if there is a chance.
5-Sheryl-Sandberg.jpg

Low Agreeableness: Gordon Ramsay from Hell's Kitchen
Behaviors: Anyone who has seen the show would agree with me. He is arrogant, unfriendly, and tempered. Once he was told as a second-rate human being.
GordonRamsey.jpg

High Neuroticism: Donald Trump
Behaviors: He is aggressive and energetic. Usually, ambitious and driven people like him tend to be moody and tense. They get upset when something goes wrong and get happy when things go their ways. Even though I don't know him personally, he looks to fit in this category.
Donald_Trump_Biography.jpg

Low Neuroticism: Dalai Lama
Behaviors: He is calm and genuine. He believes in piece and compassion. He tries to spread his words even though some people or countries do not support him. He never gets mad or frustrated. Millions of people believe in what he says and support his efforts to make the world a better place.
Dalai-Lama.jpg

Dealing With Stress

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/quick_stress_relief.htm

Everyone has stress in their lives whether it's from school, work, children, family etc. Chapter 12 in our psychology book talks about some stress reduction and relaxation techniques. I also came across an article online that I attached that also talks about ways to relieve stress in your life. The textbook states that the methods of stress reduction and relief differ for every person and require us to make changes in our lives. In my opinion I think that the best way to relieve stress is to gain control of the situation or stressor and to always try to stay optimistic about whatever it may be. The article that I found online says that some popular and effective ways are to talk to someone about it, take a break from technology, use your senses; such as smelling something energizing like lemon, or savoring a favorite treat, and even using memories to calm you down. I think when it comes down to it, it's just whatever works for you individually. The article also states to make quick stress relief a habit. Which obviously takes lots and lots of practice, but the article laid out a series of steps to help one through the process. The steps are as follows: Start small, Identify and target, Test-drive sensory input, Make "have fun" your motto, and Talk about it. I know in my position being a college student, especially at a time like now when finals feel like they are taking over my life, this series of steps could definitely come in handy. So just remember when dealing with stressful situations, you can overcome it and nothing is impossible.

Social Facilitation vs. Social Disruption

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/003193849290409U

Something that I thought was worthy of discussion and further thinking was the differences of social facilitation vs. social disruption. By definition social facilitation means the mere presence of others can enhance our performance in certain situations. On the other hand, social disruption means a worsening of performance in the presence of others. The article that I have atatched talked about a test that some psychology students conducted. In this experiment, they wanted to see the effects that eating had on either social facilitation or disruption. The subjects ate either alone or with other people for five days straight. Interestingly enough, the subjects ate more when they were in the presence of others. Using scientific principles I can say that correlation doesn't equal causation, so there could have been other factors contributing to this finding, but this study shows a casual arrow between the number of people that you eat with and the amount that you consume. I would have thought that in the presence of others, people would demonstrate social disruption because they don't want to out eat their peers, and look like a pig. Maybe people eat more in groups because they get caught up in conversation and don't pay attention to how much they are consuming, or maybe it's because they see others eating more and feel they should continue eating with them to be polite. Whatever it is, my hypothesis clearly was proven wrong. I also thought that this finding could be beneficial to people on diets or trying to lose some weight, to try and refrain from eating with groups. With the obesity rates in our country, many people could find some benefit from this finding.

Hold the Supplements?

Many people swear by their natural supplements and daily vitamins. They are so concerned for their health that they will almost try anything to make sure they are getting the nutrients that their bodies need. This is shown by how much money is spent per year, close to $20 Billion dollars. Recently Jaakko Mursu, a researcher in the University of Minnesota's School of Public Health, conducted research on whether or not these natural supplements are actually effective or even harmful.

Interestingly enough he found that most of these supplements do little or nothing to help you. He found that there is evidence that these supplements have no benefit to its users. The only real good place for these supplements is when you are actually lacking a vitamin or mineral such as when one becomes pregnant.

Its very surprising to see that common supplements such as your daily multivitamin has a 2.4% higher absolute risk for death compared to those who take no supplements. It gets as high as 5.9% for those who take folic acid supplements.

There seems to be some type of connection that people make with these alternative forms of medicine or CAM's (Complementary and alternative medicine), that even though there is warning against them the fact that they are "Natural" makes them impossible to be dangerous, even though that is very much not the case.
Link to story
ur_multimedia_364532.jpg

Recent Comments

• brianparker702@yahoo.co.uk: I couldnt believe this myself when I first heard this read more
  • beyondsuccessau@gmail.com: Happiness is an integral part of emotional intelligence. As long read more
  • hart1062: I liked how you discussed Vygotsky's study in detail, in read more
  • hart1062: I really enjoyed the visual! I would have like you read more
  • hart1062: I really liked how you expanded on the big five read more
  • hart1062: I like how you incorporated the video in your blog. read more
  • hart1062: I think that it was good to point out the read more
  • Ashley D: Yes, I do agree with the aspect that children should read more
  • abra0244: The Youtube video never seems to load. Here is the read more
  • liux0967: links for the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzU47i2xgw&feature=related links for the short-term experiment read more

Recent Assets

• Dalai-Lama.jpg
  • Donald_Trump_Biography.jpg
  • GordonRamsey.jpg
  • 5-Sheryl-Sandberg.jpg
  • video_sidworks.jpg
  • oprah-tickets.jpg
  • lindsay-lohan-drunk.png
  • obama.jpg
  • thumbnail.aspx.jpg
  • lady_gaga.jpg