Extraordinary Claims

egg white.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/eggwhite.asp

In the book extraordinary claims is a referred to as a claim that questions the evidence associated with the claim, to see if it is strong enough to support it. The claim I found was 'Egg Whites Treat Burns' and there were two entries entered by e-mail, which raises the first read flag. These entries were not even published anywhere giving it a false look. I will talk about each article briefly and explain why the evidence does not support the claim.

In article one a young man recieves a serious burn to much of his face from pesticides that he lit on fire, as he was screaming his neighbor came out with a dozen eggs and made sure to split the egg yolk from the egg white. She spread the eggs all over the mans face before the EMT's arrived. When the EMT's finally arrived they told the women that she had 'saved the man's face' and at the end of summer he had skin as soft as a babies. While I read this article there were a few things that caught my eye; the first was that the first thing the mans neighbor thought to bring over was a dozen eggs right away before even calling the ambulance which is what should have been done first and who thinks to grab eggs for a burning man? The second was that the women made sure to seperate the egg whites from the egg yolk which in my mind would also take a long time to do and the burn probably would have been getting worse. The third and final claim was that the man's face ended up to be as soft as a babies by the end of the summer, I do not know much about burned skin but I would think that it would be very different in texture at different points and not be like a babies skin.

In article two the first point made is, "Treating Burns. Egg Whites. One Hopes Never To Be Needing It, But Just In Case..." reading that at the beginning raised a red flag for me although it could have two meanins behind it, one is that to me it seemed to say that this does not work, and the second meaning could have been I hope no one has to be burnt. In the next few sentences it says to no matter what degree of burn to put it under water which is very wrong because on a serious burn it could make matters worse. The burn victim in article two had burnt her hand badly and still had time to crack an egg, split up the egg white from the egg yolk, and slightly beat it before putting her hand in it. I do not think anyone would want to do that if your hand is burnt severely, you would want to call or go to a hospital. Once again the egg whites left the victim with flawless skin which is hard to believe because burns never leave flawless skin.

These articles are very hard to believe because of all the claims they make in them, but to be able to understand if it actually would work I think that correlation vs. causation would be the best thing to use. It could prove that A (egg whites) really do/or do not cause B (burn relief and flawless skin). Doing a study on it would also give it a better background than stories coming from e-mails. The variability could also be a problem though because eggs do carry disease like salmonella, and putting that on an open wound could cause an effect of C. This designed experiment would bring an answer to the idea of if egg whites really cure burns.