The Zone of Proximal Development

Discovered by Russian researcher Lev Vygotsky, the phase when children are most receptive to learning new skills but aren't yet successful at them is known as the zone of proximal development. Before entering this stage, children are in the phase when they cannot learn skills even with assistance from their parents. When children enter the zone of proximal development, they are ready to have their parents help them learn while gradually letting them learn on their own. This is a mechanism Vygotsky referred to as scaffolding. In other terms, in the beginning children require assistance from their parents, but over time they gradually learn independently.
Vygotsky's work was based in guided learning and peer collaboration. It had a large impact on many researchers around the world. His research still remains influential today in the processes of children's learning development.
I believe that Vygotsky's work is very important in understanding learning development. I am planning on majoring in elementary education with a minor in psychology, so this is a concept that will directly relate to the field of work I am pursuing. This is also a very important concept for any potential parent to understand.
http://youtu.be/rX8lRh1u5iE

I liked how you discussed Vygotsky's study in detail, in particular, emphasizing the importance of scaffolding. I would have liked you to relate this information more to your own life, possibly example of learning as a child!