Chapter 13: Social Psychology

Chapter 13 is focused on social psychology, or "the study of how people influence others; behavior, beliefs, and attitudes." (Lillienfeld.) I found this chapter very interesting, and it may be one of the most applicable chapters to our everyday lives. One aspect of this chapter that I found intriguing was the biological "need-to-belong." The text gave the example of prison inmates, and how the most violent are put in solitary confinement. As I read this, it seemed counter-productive that the inmates that need social rehabilitation the most are probably worse off because of authority figures putting them in solitary confinement. A less extreme case I thought of was when parent's place their children in a time-out. I think this may be an affective tool for young children, however, in learning acceptable social behavior. Because solitary confinement is not "fun," the child would hopefully learn that if they behaved badly again, their fun would be taken away.
This article looks at both the positive and negative aspects of time outs.

mother-child-discipline-small.jpg
There is a lot of information in chapter 13 about social psychology, I have just touched on one portion that I found interesting, but social psychology as a whole is a unit I am definitely looking forward to.

Great job putting your ideas into the review.

Just as you said, your article brings out the both sides of solitary confinement. The same psychological method may come into different results, and i think that's the most interesting part of social psychology and the reason why i love this chapter. Good entry!=D

I think that if a prison inmate is violent it makes sense to couple therapy sessions with solitary confinement but ultimately solitary confinement is a very effective tool. If a prison inmate is posing a threat to other inmates putting them in solitary confinement serves two purposes: protecting other inmates and, since people long for social interaction, providing a strong inducement for that person to not repeat thier behavior. Maybe they should also receive counseling about violent behavior but I can't think of a tool other than solitary confinement that serves the aforementioned dual purposes.