All About Alzheimer's

I chose to write about Alzheimer's disease because it affects millions of people everyday. Although, I don't personally know anyone who has this disease, I know several who are touched by it in their lives. After doing some research, I've learned a lot about this progressive disease. Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia and it affects your ability to memorize, think, and complete simple tasks. Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, meaning that it gets worse over time. In the early forms of the disease, one loses some ability in cognitive thinking, such as word-finding and vision/spatial issues. The mild form consists of worsening in memory and cognitive processes. In the severe stages of Alzheimer's, some people can no longer recognize their own family members or understand language. Most symptoms of Alzheimer's appear near the age of 60. However, early-onset of Alzheimer's can appear between your 30s and 50s. Researchers are still trying to pin point the exact cause of the disease. I read that scientists have found a build-up of proteins in the brain through autopsy examinations. There are still many theories that haven't been proven true about why the proteins are related to the disease. It is difficult to develop a way to treat Alzheimer's if the cause hasn't been discovered. But, scientists have developed drug and non-drug treatments that can help with the behavioral and cognitive symptoms. To help reduce your risk of Alzheimer's, you should exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, use methods of mental stimulation, get quality sleep, manage your stress, and have a healthy social life. Although scientists know lots about the disease, it is still up in the air about what causes it and in the meantime, millions of lives are lost due to this disease. Hopefully, in the near future, researchers can pin point the cause and develop a cure.
Ohio_Alzheimer-disease.jpg

This is interesting, I never really knew the details behind the disease Alzheimer's. My grandpa is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and he sometimes forgets where he has been and mixes up family members' names a lot. The brain is very complex which makes it hard to find a cure for this disease. I hope someday as they learn more and more about the human brain they find a cure.

I also know someone who has a loved one that has been touched by Alzheimer's. I didn't realize that you could do things to help prevent it, I thought it was just an inevitable thing that you get if you just happen to get it. The brain is complex, but with the way technology is advancing, I'm sure they will find a cure soon.

I don't know anyone with Alzheimer's, so I really don't know anything about it. I know the major symptoms and behavior changes but that's about it. For some reason I also thought it was mostly genetic. I do hope they find a cure soon, but I wonder if we will ever know everything there is to know about the brain because it is so complex and always evolving. Very informative post, thanks for sharing your research!