Eliminate Stereotypes: Everyone Deserves a Chance!

The studies in social psychology on prejudice and discrimination are what I believe to be the most important concepts I have learned in PSYCH 1001. I want to be a middle-high school English teacher and I will definitely be dealing with these issues when I'm an educator. I will welcome students into my classroom when they are at a very important stage of their development as humans--growing out of childhood and becoming young adults. These students will arrive with many stereotypes (a positive or negative belief about a group's characteristics that we apply to most members of that group) about others, and hopefully I can teach these students that this is not correct: everyone deserves a chance; you should not judge someone just because they have a certain religion or skin color. As we have learned many times throughout the PSYCH 1001 course, humans are cognitive misers, we try to save mental energy and simplify our world. According to our book, "stereotypes can be the seeds from which prejudice grows" (528). The in-group bias is the tendency to favor individuals inside our group relative to members outside our group, a result of stereotypes and prejudice. As an educator, I will try to teach my students how to break down stereotypes and eliminate prejudice in our school to help create a more accepting world.

This is a very important aspect of life. Stereotypes and discrimination are prevalent everywhere in life, especially when it comes to bullying. For most, middle school is not the easiest time. There is a lot of bullying that goes on. A few days ago, a 7th grade girl from around my hometown committed suicide because of the bullying she had to endure. We all need to work to break down stereotypes and eliminate prejudice, and I wish you the best of luck in your teaching endeavors in the future!

I agree that the studies of prejudice and discrimination is a very important aspect of social psychology and our world today. Constantly, children are bullied based on what their skin color or religious views are. I think it's great that you plan on using your knowledge from this course to help better our world by teaching students to not use stereotypes and discriminate against other children.

Do it! Middle school is definitely one of the more trying times of development and to have a supportive teacher who creates an environment that is accepting and simply does not tolerate prejudice and stereotypes will easily lead to a classroom conducive to learning where the education they receive is what is important.

I think it is really cool that you are going into being a teacher with the mentality of eliminating stereotypes! Schools need more people like you! I think the quote you shared perfectly exemplifies what evils stereotypes can create. Good luck with what you want to do!

That's great. I know the media's stereotype is that High School is the worst time in a teenager's life, but I think it's more Junior High. So many things are changing, and everyone just wants to fit in and be average (but also unique. fine line there). So there are all these boundaries that people put so that they can fit in somewhere but that usually excludes many. It's a good idea to try to break those surface things and learn what works for you, but not based on race or religion or sexual orientation. It should be based on personality and how you view the world, which takes some time to gauge from a person.