Interesting Disorders

I feel that the one thing I will take away from this semester in psychology would be the section on psychological disorders, specifically schizophrenia. I do not know why I am so fascinated by this particular disorder, but it is just so interesting to me. I have seen so many movies with people being diagnosed with schizophrenia and having seen their symptoms and such, I would love to go deeper into the disorder. I know some people think that by placing a person in a mirrored room will reverse the disorder and I would like to see this proven or at least have more information on it, more than just what a professor can give me in a lecture and/or what the book can provide. I do not understand how people can become so insane like those who have schizophrenia. I would like to even, if possible, do research of my own on this disorder. To understand what these people really encounter within their hallucinations (sounds and visuals), delusions, and be able to see someone in the middle of one of their experiences. As I said above, I have really only seen anything in movies, and I know almost every movie has it's story, true or not, extremely glorified, however, some movies, such as Mirrors (2008) about a women who they thought was psychotic, but was possessed with a devil. But at the start of her diagnosis, it was very accurate with what someone with schizophrenia would act like. I believe it was the first time I had learned anything about the disorder, and it was then that I my interest was snagged on the disorder and wanting to learn more about it. I'm sure it will stay with me for at least five years if not longer!

im going to take abnormal psy this fall. I personally agree that this is the field I see myself in. i know people close to me that have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and it's a real fascinating disorder. it's hard to see people you know and love fight with this, probably one of the reasons I want to get into the field. i work allot with people with chemical problem, and its sounds to be a very similar to chronic drug use ie methamphetamine, acid ect. I find these symptoms to be very intriguing to talk about.