just smile and nod

Another topic that I found really fascinating and applicable was the facial feedback hypothesis. We've all probably had that situation where we just because the person we are talking to starts to brush at their face we immediately think we obviously have something disgusting on our face and they are politely trying to tell us. Sure this is occasionally the case but it is a perfect illustration of how much people's reactions and facial expressions influence how we direct a conversation. Some one is smiling and nodding along in our story we are much more likely to continue with enthusiasm than if they appear bored out of their mind and maintain poor eye contact we are more likely to finish the story quickly and leave. This is likely to help me to improve my conversations as I know even more than before just how much of an impact my facial expressions can impact a conversation.

That is so true. I'm pretty unbelievable terrible at telling stories, and so my good friends know to wait patiently till the end to ask questions. They'll be kind and encourage me to end the story. I must have said a good story at some point for them to give me an opportunity to talk. I'm usually considered a good listener, and I wonder if it's because I have the right cues (I am listening to them, but maybe I have the right reactions as well). And it is also the same thing with the speakers. Sometimes I stare at a object in the distance as I'm recalling the next part of the story, and the listener will think there is something to look at.

I totally agree with you, facial features play a key role in our environment. We kind of go with the flow of things depending on what people reactions are. Like you said you would be more likely to continue a story if someone seems more interested in it vs not at all. And I definetley agree with that because I have done that before, you don't want to keep talking to someone who doesn't seem interested, whey waste your time.

That does seem like an important section because it can improve our communication skills. Yes most of us can already read body language and facial expressions but this goes deeper into it giving us a better understanding.

non-verbal cues are very inportant in psy. i always think there somehting on my face.... possibly OCD? but if your in a cousleing setting, this should place large importance.

It's definitely a good thing to keep in mind the things we've learned about social interactions, especially in workplace settings and when looking for a significant other. We can learn a lot about ourselves by looking at the faces of others we are interacting with.