Recently in Post #4 Category

The Unchanging Personality

Five years from now, I think the one concept in psychology I will remember most is probably the study of personality. As a growing teenager, I noticed that my peers were constantly changing in their self-image and how they portray themselves and what stereotypes they chose to fit. One year, two friends may have so much in common, and then the next year they can go their separate ways, and I notice we always used the excuse that "people change." Although it is true that people may change in their beliefs and views of the world, I learned through this course that personality is a permanent thing, something that we are all born with genetically. It was fascinating to learn about Oskar Stohr and Jack Yufe, the two identical twins separated at birth who had extremely identical personalities yet very distinct political views. Having never been in contact with one another, their personalities were obviously not influenced by their environment but their genetic make-up. Contributing to the nature versus nurture debate, personality is definitely a thing of nature. I will probably carry this fact with me all throughout life, knowing that even though people may seem to change, they really have not because their personalities are permanent, since we are all born with them and they all level out as we get older. Maybe people do not seem to "change" as much as we thought afterall.
Personality-Test-Cartoon-LOL-personality-test-25440766-378-400.png

Forever a Skeptic.

Photobucket

I've always been a pretty skeptical person. I don't generally believe things people say, and I'm not very gullible. I'm not saying that I don't believe anything at all, or that I think people are constantly lying, but in society people take shortcuts in order to get ahead, and other people pay the price. I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to be one of those people. In all honesty, I couldn't afford it.

The fact that our book emphasizes the six scientific principles of thinking--Rival hypotheses, correlation/causation, falsifiability, replicability, extraordinary claims, and Occam's Razor--makes me feel a lot better about my skepticism, as well as give me ways to evaluate things I may or may not believe. The six principles give me a way to evaluate the world and organize the unknown. I can briefly challenge new concepts, and accept them for what they are or take them with a grain of salt. While I'm certain that many of the things we've covered in PSY 1001 will stick with me throughout life, I can use the six principles every day.

Are you sure that was the cause?

Psych.jpg

One of the things we kept coming back to in psychology was the idea that correlation does not always mean causation. This concept will stay with me five years into the future, because it came up with many of the experiments we studied, as well as in several widely believed concepts that aren't necessarily true. Now, when I hear about a correlation between two things, I never assume the first variable caused the second. I always consider that the second could have caused the first, that a third variable could have caused an increase in both, or that they may not be related at all and two separate variable caused them to increase individually.
Maybe I'm just skeptical, but I also keep the correlation/causation idea in mind when hearing news stories about different things that cause cancer or any various number of other diseases. I need to know more information, like is there just a correlation between the variable and cancer? Was any lab testing done to check this theory? Were the results replicated? I think too often, news stations jump to conclusions regarding causal relationships, and I will no longer blindly believe everything they tell me.

All In The Family

I really love the section on Abnormal psychology. I love it because it has been a way of life for me. This is really my norm. I am used to helping and being interactive with people dealing with a wide variety of mental illnesses. My eldest daughter has a severe panic disorder and is prone to having panic attacks. I should qualify this by saying that it has improved greatly from its initial onset as a 16 year old high school student.She has never been able to hold down a job for long as she experiences horrible panic attacks that preclude her from working efficiently. Some bosses have tried to work with her situation, but eventually they are baffled by it and decide they don't want this on the job site. The more she experiences these attacks, the more they are reinforced.
My oldest son has generalized depression and is bi-polar. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? He also has struggled with ADHD. He struggled with it throughout his school career and even into adulthood. Now at the mature age of thirty he is getting ready to go back to college and finish his degree. He works at the Home Depot service desk, and his ADHD is a positive thing. He can service more customers on the phone and in person than anyone else in the division. So what is often thought to be a negative can work for the good if you look at it through positive eyes.
My middle daughter has an anxiety disorder. She runs and exercises to help keep it in check. She takes meds and deals with it using humor. Sometimes it is overwhelming and she takes a step back and begins once again.
My youngest son has generalized depression and OCD. He has struggled much. He gets stuck on his weight, even though he is thin and buff. If you know what I mean. We laugh because if we watch movies together he picks his eyebrows out. I go crazy and he looks at me. He also takes meds and goes up and down, back and forth. So you see it is all in the family. Both genetically and environmentally.
I have worked with clients with Borderline Personality Disorder and found this to be such a challenge. But in a good way. I've learned so much about human nature and compassion. Meeting people where they are at matters most. I learned so much clinical information in this class. I put that with all my life experience and it is a complete whole. I can understand these disorders from all angles. Thank you for your efforts to help me learn.

Nature, Nurture... and Me

I took a psychology class in high school and some of the things that sparked my interest then were the Freudian theories of the unconscious and the idea of memory. Our brains influence our thinking and memory an incredible amount. In college, I think the one thing that struck me the most was the amount that our parents, genes, and environments shape us a person. I had a general understanding of nature vs. nurture, but this course went into it SO much more from so many different angles. The whole section on attachment really hit home. I have a very secure attachment with my mother, but my father is a completely different story. That explains so much about why I am the way I am. It helps explain the way I operate and the way I view others. There are obviously a multitude of factors to consider when looking at why I am the way I am, but I didn't think that my history with my parents influenced my behavior SO much. It's like me looking at myself in the mirror but seeing a different person - some things are the same, but some things are completely different. But overall, it's a more complete reflection.

In reflection Pictures, Images and Photos

Theory of love.

350px-Triangular_Theory_of_Love.gif

As a human, we live in this world and we have our demand. Not only eat, drink and sleep to make us survive, we also need some higher needs to satisfied, love is a good one we all want.

But how do we deal with love? Our relationship sometimes going well and sometimes going bad, what is the component of a good love? In Robert Sternberg's triangular theory of love, he proposed three major elements of love: Intimacy, passion and commitment. I believe in this theory because it is reasonable for the shape of good love in my mind, that is you met a person and both of you like each other (no matter physically or mentally), and then passion created some chemical sparks between you two. Finally, if both of you love to make commitment to each other? Bang! Congratulation, consummate love has been created.

But in the reality, things not always come up to ours expectation, you will not approaching consummate love if your relationship are missing component of Intimacy out of three, what you get is Fatuous love. But if you are missing passion, you will get companionate love. Without commitment, which is romantic love that I believe it is the most common situation we had in relationship right now in collage.

The study of consummate love is very interesting subject which I will use my whole life to learn it and pursue it.

5 Years From Now...

I think that 5 years from now I will most likely remember the behavioral psychology unit, specifically classical conditioning. This unit sticks out most to me because it is something that we experience as humans daily. After learning about this unit every time I watch a commercial I start to figure out what the stimulus and responses are. This was also a unit that I thought was very important because as humans our brains can often be like sponges and we absorb a lot of things and sometimes we don't realize how the things we are exposed to affect or influence us and I think it is in our best interest to be aware of that. When I become a parent in the future I think I will also take what I've learned in this unit to make sure my children are not getting wrong messages from their environment and the things they watch on television. I also think this lesson can help with parenting and raising your child.

What is Love?

In five years from now when I look back and think about this psychology class, I'm mostly going to remember the section we learned about emotion and motivation. As I develop more relationships in the future, it is interesting to know the science behind it and why I am attracted to some people. Many people believe that opposites attract, that is not entirely true. People actually prefer others who are similar, like attracts like. I think it's interesting how people from all sorts of different cultures have different views on what's attractive. Also, the fact that the attitude towards what is beautiful frequently shifts over historical time is very interesting. I've also learned what is necessary to form good relationships with others. It is extremely important that each person is putting equally amount of effort into a relationship. Without reciprocity, relationships are not able to move into deeper levels. Robert Sternberg's believes in his triangular theory of love, which includes intimacy, passion, and commitment. This model gives a descriptive view on love types and provides an explanation for why people fall in love. This psychology class has given me so much information about relationships and how they function. Relationships are a vital part to human lives and this course has provided me lots of knowledge to which I can use in my daily life.love1.jpg

Psychology and Culture... Cultural Psychology

As Professor Gonzales mentioned in her lecture, culture had long been neglected and less developed in psychological field of study. Until recently, I also had no chance to think this topic over because I lived in quite a homogeneous culture: I am from East Asia. If you are familiar with these terms from the lecture, it is a society that is collectivistic rather than individualistic, homogeneous rather than heterogeneous, and harmonious rather than competitive.

tshirt.jpg

It's been four and a half months since I came to the United States but I'm still surprised to encounter these cultural differences. For example, Westerners are more likely to fall into the trap of Fundamental Attribution Error than Asians. Recently, an Olympic gold medalist's doctoral thesis plagiarism was a big issue in my country. To make matters worse, he is a member of International Olympic Committee and recently elected lawmaker. When I explained this case to my friends who had no idea who he was, my European American friends tended to describe him as an immoral, irresponsible, and stupid person whereas Asian American friends tended to mention his athletic background, though all of them agreed his behavior was unforgivable. It was an exciting moment where I applied what I learned to the real world.

2012-04-28 16;43;46.jpg

Understanding Personality

The idiographic approach to understanding other's personalities is something I've learned in this Psychology 1001 course that has stuck with me. Previous to learning this, I never actually considered how someone's personality could affect their day-to-day lives. This concept has helped me understand that because someone you run into throughout your day/ in your life is different than you, does not mean you should judge them. They're background, family history, and personal experiences have had an impact on their personality and may have altered who they are as a person.

Personality differences in people represent the different upbringings and life experiences each of us has throughout our life. Without these unique experiences, everyone would be a carbon-copy of another personality-wise. Our life stories shape our different personality traits creating an interesting world.

I've learned that it is unfair to judge someone based on their behaviors without having an understanding of where these behaviors stemmed from. Only after knowing someone's life story or "walking a mile in their shoes" would it then be fair to judge their actions.

gate-go-away-welcome-gardening-cartoon.gif

I'm going to see what I want to see

Selective attention is the process of selecting one sensory channel and ignoring or minimizing others.

I read the chapter 4 (sensation and perception) very interestingly because I realized so many things from the chapter.
When I learned the chapter, I wanted to tell some of my stubborn friends that they should know that what they think they saw or experienced can be twisted or incorrect sometimes.
Maybe it can be bad sometimes ,but now I tend to doubt first whenever selective attention might occurred in the place.
Selective attention theory is definitely what I would not forget during my life time because it was so true to me. I tend to fall into the trap of selective attention and I think it can be because I'm really bad at multitasking. I'm one of the people who have to focus one thing at a time. I think I easily give my attention to a certain thing and lose others.
So for me, learning about this theory was good. I now know it's normal for humans ;)

here is a not that great example because many could figure it out, but personally I could not.
I failed at seeing it. Watch this youtube for fun! I hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQd7rb0wkjY

Stay Positive

Despite the vast amount of different fields of psychology we have examined and the many theories and experiments within each one, I've noticed that one central idea seems to be constantly be brought up as a way to combat psychological problems or just improve your daily life, and that is to stay happy and positive. Everybody goes through a lot of different things in their lives, and through everything we've learned, this simple (well, maybe not so simple) task of keeping a good attitude with good expectations seems to be the best way to get us through things.

I have always seemed to add way to much stress to my life, whether I am worrying too much about an upcoming event or trying to avoid situations that I don't want to deal with. Sometimes it is very hard to maintain calmness and a good attitude. However, when looking at the effects that feeling alone can have on you, it shows just how much your attitudes and expectations can change things for the better. For example, throughout nearly every chapter of the book, there seemed to always be some crazy experiment in which a person given a placebo would actually exhibit some seemingly biological effects just because he or she had changed their thoughts. On top of this, we have just recently been learning about how a good, calm attitude can reap countless health benefits for you in the long run, even warding off some horrible diseases that we may not even associate with our feelings. Even simply smiling when you don't even want to smile (facial-feedback hypothesis) can biologically change your emotions for the better!

Everybody on this Earth experiences a tremendous amount of hurdles in their lifetime, and keeping a good attitude can get you through a lot of these problems. I had always thought that being happy was just good because it made you feel better for the time being, but the long-term effects it can bring really surprised me. It may seem hard at times, but if you just keep smiling, things may just figure themselves out for you.

Don't leave...

One subject covered in the many discussed this semester in lecture was the theory of attachment. I found this theory to be particularly interesting as it correlated perfectly with my FSOS 1201 course on life span and human development. As covered there are three major types of attachment with a fourth that is less common. These include: secure, insecure-avoidant, and insecure-anxious attachment, and the fourth is disorganized. Most babies qualify for the secure attachment model. They are generally happy, giggly babies. These babies when placed in the strange situation test exhibit discomfort when their parent leaves but are immediately happy to see their care giver return. This form of attachment surfaces in many facets of the behavior of the infant. Their overall disposition being one aspect affected, and also their development, being a well-cared for and attended baby sets you up for greater success later. The parent is the secure base for the child. When this child is a completely new environment with their mom, the world is not so scary. The baby will venture out to play with the new toys and be naturally curious. This behavior is fine with the infant because mom is right there in case anything scary happens, and mom makes everything okay, or at least, less scary. I was recently out to a restaurant and saw this behavior exhibited to a perfection. There was an adorable one year old little boy who was affectionately called "trouble" by his parents for his overwhelming energy and curiosity. This infant felt comfortable exploring and walking further distances away from hi parents because he knew that mom and dad were right there if anything got scary and he could go run and hide in their arms. It was so cool to see a real life example on a Saturday morning of a lecture topic with no prompting by a video or anything. Just human nature and development at work.

Devlopment

The one concept that I think I remember 5 years from now is when we learned about developmental psychology. That is because this is the stuff that interests me, it's interesting to see how someone develops from the time they are born to adulthood. Another reason human development interests me is because I have a younger brother who is 4 years old, and it's fascinating to know what was going through his mind when he was a baby and as he was getting older. Also, knowing the reason why he does various things and understanding the concept behind it. One thing that stuck out the most from the development chapter was Piaget's stages of development. That is because knowing the different methods and knowing what each stage consists of is fascinating. And it's cool to see my brother go through each stage and know what is happening, plus realizing when he goes from one stage to the next. It's nice that I get to see what I learned on a first hand bases because I get to see my brother grow up in front of me and know what stages and how he is developing.

Picture of my childhood

| No Comments | 1 TrackBack

Through out the term, I think I would remember concepts I learned at the child psychology for a long time. Unfortunately, it is not because I wanna be an expert in that area (I wanna study forensic psychology later on), but because I studied that part by applying theories we learned to my childhood.
I have some pictures which show object permanence in one year old baby. That picture was taken when I was one year old. My parents leave me in stroller on the middle of the road and hid behind the tree. And took a picture of me how I react to that. My response was divided into three stages first: look aroud second: freeze third: cry. I asked my mom why she took those pictures and she said "It was fun!" Like this, I have some other pictures related to Piaget's theory.

Since I was young, I have decided to have four kids! I don't know why but I decided in that way and I still want to have four babies if I can, Obviously, it would be really burdensome to take care all of them and raise them properly. However, I think if I apply concepts that I have learned at the development psychology, I could raise my kids very well!

The concept of mental illness is a difficult concept for many people to grasp. Its defining lines are subjective and fuzzy, and the entire field often seems clouded and poorly defined. These characteristics, however, make this field extremely intriguing. Learning how psychologists and psychiatrists define and diagnose mental illness is one thing I know will affect the way I view people, communities, and the intricate connections between the two for the rest of my life.
The "Four Ds" often used as guidelines for determining mental illness - Deviance, Distress, Dysfunction, and Danger - are very subjective terms. In studying the "Four Ds", we were told to keep the subjectivity of these terms in mind, and to consider the way the definition of these terms may change over cultural lines. I think that, as we move closer to globalization, these definitions will become cloudier. The process of globalization will work to bring cultures together, which will change the way we view other cultures. This will primarily affect the 'deviance' portion of the diagnosing process, and I believe it will become much more relevant as our technology improves and we move closer to globalization.
I am hoping to study sociology and advertising (that is, how advertising affects people of different cultures, etc.) I can certainly see myself using this information in the near future. Furthermore, I can see the relevance that these topics will soon have across the globe, and throughout many different areas of work. Knowing these things, and learning the skills of defining a mental state (as we have been learning for much of this semester) will certainly become more relevant within the next five years. Furthermore, I am confident that this field will continue to grow and change, affecting the way we interact with each other, within our communities, and across cultural borders.

Nature vs Nurture Debate and Twin study

Even after I finish studying Psychology 1001, I would remember the concept of nature versus nurture debate and twin study, because nature versus nurture debate was always in almost every area of Psychology when I studied. The reason that we could see this debate in many areas is that the debate is a basic knowledge that we all have to know throughout Psychology. This debate and twin study is related to psychological characteristics, IQ, and many other areas. The debate is reasoning about what makes human. In other words, what influences human being to grow, genetics or environment?

Twin study is a representative study to demonstrate this debate. This twin study is extremely consistent. According to the twin study, monozygotic twins are still similar even they are reared apart. This means that genetics is important. Also, it doesn't matter they are reared in the same environment, because adopted siblings shows no relation even though they are grown up in the same environment. However, the monozygotic twins are never perfectly identical, which means that genetics is not everything, and environment is also important. I know that this debate is endless debate that would not end or would not be concluded, but I also know that this debate is a very important concept that everyone has to know.

False Memories

Of all the interesting things we have learned this year in Psychology 1001, the topic I believe I will remember for next five years is the implanting of false memories. I thought that all the different ways false memories originate were very compelling. I found the method of planting memories was the most interesting of all the different methods. It was fascinating to me how a person's memory can be completely altered by hearing something that a person has told them or seeing something that a person has shown them. The experiment done where individuals were asked to share their experience at Disney World after being shown an add that featured Bugs Bunny, a Warner Brothers character, was very fascinating to me. After seeing the add, many shared that they had a great experience at Disney World and included that their great experience included meeting Bugs Bunny. After being asked about their experience, the individuals were asked what other characters they would associate Bugs Bunny with and many said Mickey Mouse, who is a Disney character. It was surprising to me that people would so quickly believe that they had met Bugs Bunny at Disney World after viewing the add, being that Bugs Bunny being at Disney World would be highly unlikely, probably impossible. It shows how easily people's memories can be altered and changed simply by the influence of hearing or seeing something that is not a part of their original memory.

Castle.jpg
bugs-bunnyreclining-499x367.jpg

It Really Did Happen....

There has been a lot of interesting subjects we have discussed in this class. Many stick out, and I'm sure I will remember a much for many years. But as I do these "REP" points, I think what would I want to study in other people? I think one of the most interesting things we have read about and discussed in class was memory. More specific, was false memory and implanting false memory. It's amazing how well we think our memory is. But with a little bit of help from another person, that other person can implant a completely false memory altogether. In class, I remember talking about people who had never been lost in a mall as a child, but when a sibling started talking about the experience, the subject would start to create these memories of being lost in a mall. As seen below, these memories can get really specific. The first of the seven sins of memory is suggestibility. By giving misinformation your memory can change significantly. By changing the word "bump" to "crash" can change what a person saw in a photo. What we see, and given as testimony, can but someone away for life. But are the past memories the real events, or have they been skewed by decaying memory or misinformation?

A Working Model for Strengths, Weaknesses, and Success

The three concepts that have surprised, provided explanation and a point for pushing off of for me personally, have been The Big Five of personality, Attachment Theory, and the Yerkes Dodson Law.

I've always had a strong predisposition for being critical of myself and the Berkley Personality Profile not only gives clear definition to these identifiable, real, and universal traits (openness to experience, conscientiousness, agreeableness, neuroticism) but has helped me to objectively identify the strengths of the unique constellation that is my personality and those around me. Friends, co-workers, and family can all be appreciated for their uniqueness and I can see harnessing this concept to create the best working team in future projects . I can see also understand on a psychology level why particular friendships are a natural fit.

Attachment theory will be very important for me in the next five years. Again by identifying an explanation, "Oh, I withdraw or am afraid of being too dependent or close", already has broken down walls for me. In particular with someone who has proven trustworthy, I realize it's important to let myself need him and it allows him to come through- something he's very good at. It also creates an informed point of view toward others who might throw up walls or act in a way that can be confusing. I will now make more of an effort to reassure others that I'm there for them too.

Thirdly, the Yerkes Dodson Law is permanently stuck in my memory already. I'm obsessed with productivity and efficiencies, so being brutally honest with myself I know I write or study topics like psychology better in a slightly arousing setting (like Starbucks) than in a dead silent library. These simpler tasks are performed better that way, while working on a design project or photo editing are best done quietly and without observation. It's these concepts along with motivation and emotion that shape and improve systems for success in academics, work, and relationships. Thank you PSY 1001.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Post #4 category.

Post #3 is the previous category.