The Power of Light and Classical Conditioning

After watching the Superbowl a few weeks ago, I came across a lot of funny commercials that reminded me of the psychological underpinnings that advertisers use to entice people to buy their product. The commercial I decided to use was for a new Audi car, and there are many different things going on in this commercial. Here is a link to the commercial:

http://youtu.be/lw9ZeXB2uKs

At the beginning of the commercial, there is a vampire-guy driving his Audi in the forest to an outdoor party where all his vampire friends are at. I think the advertisers are trying to use the power of classical conditioning in this part of the commercial to show that people who buy Audi cars are cool and bad-ass. In this case the unconditioned stimuli are the party with all the friends and the good-looking vampire guy who is driving the Audi car. The unconditioned responses are feeling cool and bad-ass. Then the conditioned stimulus is the Audi car, and the conditioned response is feeling cool and bad-ass. The purpose behind classical conditioning is that when people are shopping for a car and come across the new Audi car they will get that same feeling of cool and bad-ass when they see the car and will want to buy it.

At the end of the commercial, when he finally arrives at the party, he has his LED headlights on which unfortunately kill all of the vampires that are at the party. In this case, the advertisers are using the idea that these new LED headlights are so powerful that they can kill a vampire. That gets you to think that this car is not only cool and bad-ass to drive but it also has very powerful headlights that are good for driving at night. Finally, the advertisers use comedy in this commercial to keep people engaged in the commercial. I have come across a lot of car commercials that are just really boring and that is usually the time I go and get some food or go to the bathroom. This commercial, on the other hand, really kept me engaged and I appreciated the use of humor in their commercial.

Audi-2012-Game-Day-Commercial-Vampire-Party.jpg

I find this commercial and other commercials these days to be funny. Many commercials these days seem to be targeting that "cool/badass" feel to them. They use extreme positive attributes for these commercials so that people can feel the same if they buy that certain object. Thing about these commercials is, is that there is so much hidden information and factors you have to take into consideration. Such as price of the car, color of the car, and even the individual driving it. So it's always funny to see these commercials regarding there products as "cool" when in reality it depends on so many other factors too and even the perspective of other people.

Although I found this commercial humorous as it intended to be, I am curious as to whether or not the ad also hurt Audi. I'm sure for the most part the response was positive but vampires seem to be so overused these days I wonder if this turned people away from Audi. Maybe not all people's unconditioned response was "cool" and "bad-ass". When I saw first the commercial I was with a group of my friends and most of them groaned and said "Vampires? Really? What is this, 2009?" In this cause the unconditioned response was more like "lame". It's just interesting to look at the other side of the ad and examine if it really succeeded in it's use of classical conditioning.

I found this commercial to be funny, yet a bit unnecessary. Funny isn't really a mood that is typically associated with luxury cars and I don't think Audi is any exception. Plus, a company like Audi that is already associated with cool and sleek feelings really doesn't need to try for this type of reaction.