Memory Loss- 50 First Dates

50 First Dates is a very good example of memory loss portrait through a character. When you think of memory loss, most people think of it in terms of a smaller scale such as forgetting some events or information in our life. In this specific movie, they portray a condition called Anterograde Amnesia, which is the loss in ability to create new memories. People loose the ability to recall the recent past, but surprisingly long-term memory from before the accident remain in tact.

Memory as we know has many forms, two most common are short-term and long-term. Looking at the movie 50 First Dates, it exemplifies how this condition effects so many different aspects to the characters life. Anterograde Amnesia still allows the person to recall significant figures in life, such as family members and personal objects. The aspects it effects is short term memory from the recent past, such as new acquaintances, new information, and such information that is recent. An example of this would be the newspaper or a new individual one meets. At the time, the individual suffering form Anterograde Amnesia will be fine, but the next day that individual will have no recognition of this information. Many individuals that suffer Anterograde Amnesia loose the ability to recall declaritive memory, such as facts. On the other hand, these individuals will still be able to recall procedural memory, such as talking on the phone or walking.

Overall, memory loss in all forms is a very powerful ability to loose and is very serious. Memory is one of the brains most powerful abilities, so to loose memory is a big deal.

50-first-dates 2.jpg

I found the use of the film "50 First Dates" as an example of how complicated human memory (or lack thereof) is to be very effective. I had no idea that the condition of memory loss was so extensive, with so many various alterations or defects in memory that can occur. I have not seen this movie in a while, and I did not remember was Barrymore's character's condition was called. Anterograde Amnesia is a fascinating condition. The idea that the true struggle is in forming new memories, rather than recalling long-term ones, is interesting, and I almost think it sounds like more of a hardship than the traditional type of memory loss we all know of. This makes me wonder, do other species besides humans suffer from similar types of memory loss? Human memory is reconstructed rather than reproduced. It is never an exact replica of the true event or circumstance we are trying to recall. Do other animals and/or species have a similar type of memory? Is it reconstructive? And if so, how many different types of memory loss can they experience?

Good example, as she had anterograde amnesia. It's an interesting movie because it is based around her psychological deficit, but that's what makes it a good movie. She has to "meet" the same guy each day for her first time, and that would be a difficult situation for a family to deal with.

My great grandma had short-term memory. When we would go visit her at the nursing home she would ask you how the weather was outside at least 10 times within an hour. We also gave her a magazine that she could read over and over again for years because it was always news to her. However, when it came to long-term memory she could remember things very well. She could remember spending days on the farm with her family and playing volleyball and basketball in high school. Very interesting how memory works.

My grandma suffered from Alzheimer's disease, which caused her to lose her short-term memory first, and then her long-term memory. I was fairly young when she passed away from the disease but I was with her the morning before she passed away and she was recalling things that she hadn't talked about or remembered in a long time. I find it so bizarre how the mind and memory work.

I find it interesting how it is possible for people to recall things that happened way in the past with such clarity but then they can't remember something that happened to them just yesterday. It just really amazes me how complex memory and the brain really is.