The Dawn of Mr.Mom

Mr.Mom.jpg

"The End of Men". Such are the headlines that one can now see on the cover page of popular magazines, and yes, it is true, men no longer dominate the world. Since the feminists' reforms of the 60's, women's economic status has grown tremendously. According to a report by the APA "the percentage of working age women employed or looking for work nearly doubled-from less than 33 percent to more than 60 percent" between 1948 and 2001. Some even project that women will soon come to dominate the economic and professional world, with men becoming a minority and assuming roles that have been hitherto been reserved to women. Now it has been mentioned in our book that a parent's job status has an influence on a child's attachment style and development. This makes me wonder: will this country's changing work force demographics change parental roles? How will father-child relationships be affected? Are we moving away from Dad the breadwinner to...Mr. Mom?
Well, not exactly. According the APA report previously mentioned, though the number of stay at home fathers has increased by 50% between 2003 and 2006, they still barely represent 1% of American fathers. So yes, we are moving closer to the era of Mr. Mom, but not quickly enough for this new trend to be significant. As to the role of paternal love on children, the report mentioned that recent research suggests that one of the main roles of fatherly love was to help children's social, emotional and cognitive development and functioning. So should we expect more behaviorally well adjusted kids and adults as the number of stay at home Dads augments? Not necessarily, maternal love is just as important (if not more) than paternal love and should not be reduced just because a father is more involve. In conclusion all I can say is Fathers be good to your daughters...and sons.

Even though stay at home fathers barely represent 1% of American fathers I still think it is significant. I think people's opinions on this have changed in the past 10 years making it important. From what I can tell about the study it seems like they just looked at purely stay at home dads. I think that it's possible that there are more dads as the primary caretaker but they perhaps just hold a part time job while mom holds a full time job.

I think that this post poses a lot of interesting controversies between the roles of mothers and fathers. I personally believe that the increase in number of females in the workforce, as well as the increase in number of stay-at-home fathers will be very beneficial for society in the future. The farther we can stray from the stereotypical roles of a stay-at-home mother and a working father, the better off everybody will be. However, I do think that there are some important aspects of these stereotypical roles, especially in reference to the stay-at-home mother. For example, mothers have several distinct and very important roles in the care for her child, including providing the milk for nourishment. I do agree with you however that paternal love is very important in children's social, emotional, and cognitive development. All in all, I think that there could potentially be many arguments for either side, but I appreciated your approach to the change in roles of mothers and fathers.

It seems in most instances when a mother decides to pursue a career, both parents are full time workers instead of the mother working and the father being the stay-at-home parent and as a result of this, many children are then being placed in childcare. It is surprising to me that only 1% of fathers are stay-at-home fathers. I would think the numbers would be higher considering the high numbers of women in the workforce.

I do believe that the role of the father figure would change if dads were a stay at home parent rather then the mother. They wouldn't take the place of the mothers role but it would be a considerable role change from what the book believes is a father role. Granted though that it's only a 1% for the time being. Excellent way of putting this blog post. From what it use to be the role of the male food bringer role has changed. Whether it is for the best or worst we will find out later on in life.