Consciousness

The aspect of psychology that will stick with me for the rest of my life is consciousness. For me, this was the most interesting topic covered this semester. Sleep and dreaming seemed so mysterious before learning the information throughout the course. I was very fascinated by all the different sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, sleepwalking, and night terrors. My sister has had the occasional occurrence of sleepwalking and it was always assumed by my family and I that she must be acting out a dream she had. I was interested to find out that sleepwalking almost always occurs in a non-REM stage of sleeping. I also enjoyed learning about the more bizarre pieces of consciousness like hallucinations, deja vu, and out-of-body experiences. I have had an out-of-body experience multiple times and never really understood much about them, so I was very intrigued by the topic. I think another reason why consciousness was so interesting to me is because things like sleep and dreaming are experienced by everyone, yet they aren't things that a lot of people know much about. Consciousness is definitely a topic I will keep with me for a very long time and will continue to search for more knowledge about it.sleepwalking-1.gif

I agree that I will remember this topic for a long time. I find everything with sleep fascinating- dreams, inception, sleep walking, night terrors, etc. I am very interested in dreams especially. I do not remember my dreams usually, and have not had nightmare since I was a child. Now when I wake up I can tell which stages of sleep I have been through - especially if something wakes me up in REM sleep.

Well written article first off, and I completely agree with what you were saying! Because before this year when i heard about sleep walking, i had never actually seen anyone who had it!I just thought it was something hollywood joked about it, but then i found out it was real and was shocked!

Consciousness is very interesting! I sleep walk occasionally, and I never know about it until the morning after when my parents ask me if I remember it. One time, I walked downstairs and went to the bathroom. My parents called the cops on me because they thought I was a burglar! They found me in the bathroom and brought me back to my room. The cops actually came to my house to make sure everything was okay, and I have no memory of any of this! Sleep walking is scary because someone could easily get hurt! I could have fallen down the stairs!

I also find consciousness to be very interesting because our minds work in complex and mysterious ways. Even though consciousness can be very complex, I think its worth the time and effort to learn about because I think they describe a lot about a person. For example, I have experienced lucid dreaming a few different times in my life and I think it's because I am a person that is very aware of my surroundings and I am very analytical.

Just as you did, I found consciousness very intriguing. For as long as I can remember my mother has suffered from night terrors. I can recall numerous accounts of being abruptly woken from sleep to hear deafening screams coming from the other side of my house. The most vivid of these accounts was when I was about 8 and was sleeping with my mom because my father was away for work. A blood curdling scream woke me up to see my mother sitting up in bed talking to the end of her bed. She repeated over and over "I can see you! I know you are there!" This was often the result of her night terrors. It wasn't until this class when I learned that these occurrences were completely harmless. It is reassuring to know that my mom doesn't experience any negative effects other that a short burst of adrenaline and possibly high blood pressure.