Do Weight Loss Products Really Work?

As obesity in America is on the rise, so are advertisements for weight loss. Millions of weight loss advertisements can be heard on the radio, seen in magazines, on billboards, and on television. With all the different weight loss plans/products, they all promises great results, fast. But do any of these products actually work? One of the most popular diet pills is Hydroxycut. Below is a picture of one of their advertisements that was posted in a magazine. The first thing a consumer would see is the bold statement at the top stating how much weight was lost due to Hydroxycut. If you look closely, there is a small statement under the picture that reads "Brittany used Hydroxycut with diet and exercise and was remunerated." This means that this person not only used the product, but worked out and dieted, and was paid for it. The reader has no idea how this woman dieted or how much she exercised. Most of the weight loss products and plans are supposed to be used with diets and exercise, however are not stated clearly. Without either of those, you would not be able to lose weight in a healthy way. Weight loss products are on the rise and will continue to grow in the media. The consumer needs to be proactive and research the products they wish to use. With this, they can make an informed decision on whether the product will work for them.new.jpg

I think ads like this are hilarious between the photoshop and fine print. It's pretty ridiculous how many weight loss products are out there. When ads like this say that it's the pill plus exercise and healthy eating I just think it's funny because eating well and working out WITHOUT the pill will make a person healthier. Not to mention weight pills are linked to so many negative side affects like liver damage or damaged skeletal tissue. I think the only thing more ridiculous than the claims these ads make is the fact that diet pills still are a multi-billion dollar industry.

This is a great example of advertising that tries to convince the audience that correlation and causation can be seen as the same thing. Just because the woman lost weight while taking hydroxycut doesn't mean that the one hydroxycut cause the woman to lose weight. In this situation, it is due to other variables such as the woman's diet and exercise. I've noticed a lot more advertisements use this in order to try to convince or trick the audience into thinking that their product causes a positive effect if it is used with other positive habits. Hopefully the audience realizes that this is just a matter of correlation (not causation) and they continue to work out and eat healthy if they take this pill.

I think it would be interesting to see the honest before and after images of a person who took Hydroxycut and a person who took a placebo, both doing the same amount of dieting and exercising. This ad really does nothing (because of the power of photoshop and fine print) to genuinely prove the pills effectiveness. All it does is flash the viewer extraordinary (if not desirable) claims.

As a user of dietary supplements, I understand that your argument is very true and somewhat false in some instances. I have found that if you do combine exercise and diet with certain supplements it can help you lose weight, gain muscle, or have better absorption of nutrients in your body. Hydroxycut is just a thermogenic with a lot of fillers potentially harmful. Like Madison said, there are a lot of negative effects on particular ingredients. If you look, there is only a few good ingredients that can safely speed up your metabolism and are found naturally in what we eat and in somewhat normal doses. However, sketchy terminology like proprietary blends and special complexes don't inform consumers about the harms of the ingredients or their quantities. Also, they say that you are getting a good dose of "fat burner" when you are only getting the same amount as a black coffee. When it comes to supplements do your homework, make sure its okay with your doctor, and remember that diet and exercise are the 90% not the lose weight quick supplements.

This is a very widespread issue. As we learned earlier in the semester, we should always use caution when a product is "proven" only by testimonials. I also noticed the small blurb from a "doctor" near the bottom of the ad. It seems that all products are #1 recommended by doctors. You made a very good point though, the ad seems to shy away from mentioning the amount of diet and exercise needed to achieve these types of results. Genetics is also commonly listed as a deciding factor for weight loss. Consumers should be increasingly cautious with their purchases especially since advertisements seem to be getting better at tricking the consumer.

I always love when these kinds of commercials come on late at night. They show all of these people who have lost tons of weight "due" to using their product. Then they have the fine print that says all of the other things the people did to lose weight. Their before/after pictures are the best, as the person looks like they haven't showered in weeks in the "before" picture, and they're tan and nice looking in the "after" picture. The pills probably do help a little bit, but as far as I'm concerned they do just as much bad as they do good. People think they can use these products as shortcuts, when really they probably work more like placebos. There are so many factors to how much you weigh and how quickly you can lose weight, these products are not going to by themselves solve your problem.

I think our ancestors had it right, the only way to loose weight was the good old fashioned way, through exercise and watching our diet. Its the healthiest way! In this consumer driven society, everyone wants quick results, fast, no one wants to put the time and the effort into anything anymore. Therefore, no wonder diet and weight loss pills are on the rise. People are eating more processed junk food, becoming overweight or obese and then go and look for quick fixes (in the weight loss pill), as if this will solve all their problems.

This is a very interesting post, and very relevant to society today. My mom is very fit and nutritious and puts a lot of pressure on me to eat healthy and stay fit but it is very hard having such a low metabolism! So I always thought to go on some sort of a pill until I had a nutrition class. Where they told you how your body actually reacts and breaks down these ingredients and most of them are gimmicks. This morning on the radio I heard this lady talking about how she had a feeding tube through her nose for 10 days, you couldn't eat, and you would lose 20 pounds in 10 days. It cost $75/pound so about $1500. This originated in Italy and other countries in Europe for women trying to get thin for their wedding and has now been brought to the U.S for that same purpose. It's really disturbing how much being thin is focused on here in the U.S. and how much [pressure it is. Just by losing weight is not going to solve all your life problems if you do not know how to exercise and eat well in the first place. I think we should do away with all these pills, meal plans, and feeding tubes and focus more on education and the importance of our nutrients and exercise.

Your weight lose suggestion was really bene ficial for me. To control this we should take our daily Meal Plans.

HTML Generator Sample Page

Actually weight loss is a slow process. For this you need hard work. Regular exercise, hard working and weight loss food will help you lot in this case.