Recently in Post #4 Category

Setbacks of the Mind as a Cognitive Miser

The concept I think will stick with me the most in the next five years is the view of the human mind as a cognitive miser. I find it interesting how the mind functions in a way such that it has to put forth as little effort as possible in order to accomplish everyday tasks. This is incredibly applicable in many facets of daily life because it makes you reconsider how accurate your memories or observations really are. It has been shown in numerous studies how our memories can be altered over short and long periods of time without our knowledge and that our observations can be altered by a host of external influences. These concepts are good to keep in mind the next time you're in an argument with someone over something that you "know" to be true. Even if you are entirely adamant about what you may have seen or experienced, it is still very possible that you could be mistaken. The mind's use of heuristics, schemas, and other mental shortcuts can be very useful the majority of the time, but can still cause problems we should at least be aware of. Simply being aware of these concepts can prevent embarrassing future mishaps for all of us.
argument-380x258.jpg

Who We Really Are

The topic that will stick with me the most after this semester of Psychology is personality. Many topics that were covered over the last few months were very interesting to me, but understanding personalities definitely stood out the most. Because personality is made up of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that make a person unique, I was interested from the very beginning. I find it fascinating to observe different individuals behaviors based on their personality. Once we got more in depth with understanding the factors behind what make up an individual's personality, I was loving it! Especially the discussion activity that we did when we were put into specific groups based on our personality types, that was so interesting to me. Learning about the five core personality traits - extraversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, and openness - helped me understand how and why people act based on their personality. Personality is a huge factor in everyone's life. It determines the type of friends that they will make, what kind of a job they will hold, how they will ultimately carry out their life. Because I was so fascinated with personality, I decided to take the Psychology of Personality next semester. I cannot wait!
psychology.jpg

Making Decisions With Moral Reasoning

One of the subjects we discussed in Psychology that I believe will stick with me for a long amount of time will be the section about moral reasoning. People often develop strong feelings, values and beliefs around this time in their life because now we have to start making a lot of important decisions and are experiencing a lot of new things. Entering your late teens and your early twenties can be when many people start experiencing moral dilemmas. This is the age when some decisions aren't clear about what's right and wrong. We're also better able to understand consequences of not just our parents but all of society, whether it be our peers, teachers, bosses, co-workers, etc. This will especially stay with me through out college, being that I'm only a freshman. There's many more decision I'll have to make. What major should I choose? Where will I live? Should I go to graduate school? Is this person right for me? How can I build up my resume? And in the end did I make all the right choices for me? I have some important things to think about within the next couple years and I will definitely be exercising my moral reasoning.

Parenting Styles

The psychology topic that I will remember most later in life is parenting styles and punishment. When you walk through a store, you may come across children crying and screaming over a toy or candy bar; some parents yell at their kids, some spank, some give in, and some ignore them. There has been long discussion and debates on what type of parenting style is best in the upbringing of a child. There are four parenting styles based on Baumrind's observations: permissive, authoritarian, authoritative, and uninvolved. Looking back on my childhood, I feel that my parents exceled at authoritative style. They gave me good strict guidelines, however let me explore and support me throughout my life. I feel that no two families could parent in the exact same way. The four parenting styles are just a very broad illustration of what the parenting styles could look like. Even though authoritative parenting style is said to be the best, I do not believe that is true for every child. Each child and family comes with their own circumstances, and styles may work differently with some children. Children learn and grow in their own way and parents should react to them specifically. The book describes how some authors refer to parenting styles as "too hard", "too soft", and "just right". As a parent, how will you know what is "just right"? Parenting-styles-diagram.jpg

Consciousness

The aspect of psychology that will stick with me for the rest of my life is consciousness. For me, this was the most interesting topic covered this semester. Sleep and dreaming seemed so mysterious before learning the information throughout the course. I was very fascinated by all the different sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, sleepwalking, and night terrors. My sister has had the occasional occurrence of sleepwalking and it was always assumed by my family and I that she must be acting out a dream she had. I was interested to find out that sleepwalking almost always occurs in a non-REM stage of sleeping. I also enjoyed learning about the more bizarre pieces of consciousness like hallucinations, deja vu, and out-of-body experiences. I have had an out-of-body experience multiple times and never really understood much about them, so I was very intrigued by the topic. I think another reason why consciousness was so interesting to me is because things like sleep and dreaming are experienced by everyone, yet they aren't things that a lot of people know much about. Consciousness is definitely a topic I will keep with me for a very long time and will continue to search for more knowledge about it.sleepwalking-1.gif

Consciousness

Consciousness is the topic that I think I will still remember five years from now simply because I find it the most intriguing. The different stages of sleep and how they correspond with changes in brain waves and eye movements is very interesting to me. I often find myself thinking about lucid dreaming (and wishing I could do it) as well. Hypnosis is another area of consciousness that's interesting to me because I have seen live hypnotists and I always wonder if they are phonies or not. There are also many other compelling phenomena related to consciousness that I haven't mentioned here for lack of space.

Catharsis - The Double-Edged Sword

Even though catharsis was covered a little bit this semester, for some reason it really stuck out to me and it will be something I will remember for a long time. I think this topic really stuck out to me because the book says that contrary to what many people believe, expressing how we feel is not always necessarily helpful. Catharsis, or disclosing of painful feelings, can be very helpful when people use it to solve their problems, however, it can also be very destructive because it can reinforce people's feelings of helplessness, distress, anger, anxiety, or anguish. I find this to be very interesting because I have personally had other people tell me, such as good friends and family, to always express how I feel and let my emotions out. While sometimes that may be healthy, it can also be harmful. I know when I was dealing with my depression and anxiety, one of my therapists told me to "get it all out of my system." While expressing my emotions sometimes helped, I also felt like I would end up in a vicious circle of emotional chaos which didn't get my anywhere. If anything, I sometimes felt like it made me feel worse. It just took me some time to understand the feelings and emotions I was experiencing with my depression and anxiety and learning how to manage them the right way.

Don't Stress Over It! -Chap 12

What will I take away from psychology 1001, hmm probably everything! I took away how our mind works, how we interact, and how we perceive our world. The most interesting topic we covered I believe had to do with how humans cope with stress and how stress impacts our health. After reading this chapter, I thought I needed to meditate immediately to stop coronary heart disease from clogging up my arteries. I didn't realize the impact that stress has on our bodies and how people deal with stress in different ways. I am a good mix of optimism and pessimism. However, I didn't know that if you are pessimistic or have a Type A personality you are on average supposed to die sooner. When you are stressed out, your body naturally becomes more alert. You may sweat more, blood pressure increases, and you can't sleep as well. If you keep this up, you can put yourself at risk for the number 1 cause of death and disability in the United States. However, there are many different ways to cope with stress including many behavioral, emotional, decisional, cognitive, and informational controls. Sometimes we all need to step back and take a breather because a few years of our lives may depend on it. Besides who doesn't want to look at the glass half full!
GlassHalfFull.jpg

Personality

I think that the concept of psychology that I will remember the most in about five years is personality. I found this section really interesting because I learned a lot about myself and a lot about why I am the way I am with some things. I was really surprised about how much I had actually learned about myself. I was not expecting to gain that much insight into why I am how I am and why I do what I do. I was also very pleased to learn how to react when I encounter people who act differently from the way that I do. It was really helpful to get some information about different personalities and how to distinguish between them all. I was delightfully surprised when I was able to connect what I was learning with how all of my friends act.
Psy 1001 Personality.jpg

Nonverbal communication goes unrecognized

In my opinion, emotion and motivation are two important concepts in psychology that I will remember 5 or 10 years from now. I believe I will remember these concepts notably because they are two concepts that I will focus on in my graduate studies and possibly a profession later on in life. I plan to become an athletic head coach or at the very least work with anything pertaining to athletics. Sport psychology goes unnoticed often times when athletes and coaches evaluate their performances. This concept really delves into emotion and motivation displayed within an athlete. Furthermore, nonverbal cues are essential to performance in sport. They can show how well an athlete perceives their performance to be. If an athlete shows that they are frustrated through nonverbal cues such as angry facial expressions or helpless body language, their opponent could notice that and seize the opportunity to capitalize on their opponents' frustrations in an event or match. That is, if the opponent can the grasp the notion that many athletes perform poorly or try to do too much by themselves in an athletic competition, than they can capitalize on their opponents mistakes and know when it is coming. Nonverbal communication shapes our perspectives and our attitude towards others whether we believe it or not.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Post #4 category.

Post #3 is the previous category.