« Blog 6 - Presentation Inspiration | Main | Blog 7 - Title Page Ideas »

Service Learning 2

The past few weeks at Homework n' Hoops, I have actually felt like I have been helping my student, Stephany learn. She seems to be a bit behind the kids in her class and I have been trying to teach her ways to remember or understand multiplication. We have also been working on finding areas and perimeters of shapes. I never really realized how hard it is to explain to someone in second grade how to do something. It is hard to remember that far back, and sometimes I feel like she should just understand some things. I have trouble really explaining things but I think I am getting better at it.

In the beginning, I felt kind of unneeded because I would just give her a spelling test or something small and then we would read a book or draw. However, I have realized that even if I wasn't really teaching her anything important, it is more my time that is valuable. Maury, the director of the Homework 'n Hoops program really stresses this. That is why he wanted us (the tutors) to come every week because it is important for the child to form a relationship with you. I have realized that my time and energy that I put forward is much more important than being the one to really teach my student alot of information.