Galapagos Giant Tortoise

Galapagos-1.jpg

Galapagos tortoise at the Charles Darwin Research Station, Santa Cruz Island (click to enlarge)

For the next few weeks or months, this blog will become a bit different. I've begun having slides scanned that I took on trips in the 1980s and 1990s, to places like the Galapagos, China, Morocco, and Turkey. There are also more recent trips to Antarctica, South America, and Iceland. Many of the images are striking, and have no obvious counterparts to those I've taken (or might take) in Minnesota or New Mexico. Therefore, I've decided to post one or two photos each day from one of these trips, rather than trying to match "there" with "here". I hope that what is lost in thoughtful and/or humorous comparisons will be more than compensated by the remarkable images from around the world.

I'll start with the Galapagos Islands, on the equator about 500 miles west of Ecuador. The entry in Wikipedia about Galapagos tortoises -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galápagos_tortoise -- makes interesting reading. The large size, long necks, and humped shells of these ancient creatures are particularly striking.

Click here to see my Blurb books.

This page contains a single entry by Victor Bloomfield published on December 12, 2008 8:15 PM.

In the Frame was the previous entry in this blog.

Galapagos Sea Lions is the next entry in this blog.