The heart of La Habana Vieja, Old Havana, lies in the old fort and the squares - from Arms to the Cathedral - that extend up from the waterfront.
(click to enlarge) Castillo de la Real Fuerza, built between 1558 and 1578, is the oldest military fortress in the Americas. During colonial times it was the residence of Spanish governors and the place where gold was stored before being loaded on ships bound for Spain.
(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge) Arms Square, near the Fort, is filled with racks of used books.