One more photo

Mike, Valerie and cousin Rob Meyer at the Sox game

Posted by vmeyer at 11:21 AM

Sox

I ended my road trip with another victory; the Sox over the Royals 2-1. It was a cool night at the park but I sat between my cousin and his friend so that helped keep me warm! It didn't stop us from drinking cold beer though.... This park was really nice, too, and the game kept our attention. It was kind of cool to see A.J. Pierzynski hit a homer - I guess they love him here!

I'm on my way to my mom's for Mother's Day - sounds like a perfect way to end the Road Trip!!

Thanks for reading!!

Posted by vmeyer at 11:10 AM

Cubs

View image

You know what happens when you get cocky.... yep, I jinxed myself with all that talk of my bringing the teams good luck. The Cubs lost but we had a great time!! Linda attended this game with me, too. We walked from our downtown hotel to Wrigley Field - it took about an hour a half. As we approached the stadium and it came more into view it really hit me that I would see my first game at Wrigley Field. The feel of this ballpark is amazing - no flashy advertisements or scoreboards here - just a couple little "strip" type boards with the balls, strikes, outs and such.

We had great seats as you can see in the photo.

Posted by vmeyer at 9:33 PM

Reds

Cincinnati - Great American Ballpark, right on the river.... It was a beautiful day for baseball. The beer's not getting any cheaper! Busch takes the award on that one: $8.50 for a Bud Light - I passed. Speaking of $, it appears that I departed on this road trip as gas prices shot up. I don't recall ever paying $45 to fill my gas tank!

The Reds are in the middle of their division and I brought them good luck - they won 9-3 so it was fun to see lots of action. The Twins game I attended last week had no score until the bottom of the 11th inning - yawn.... Bronson Arroyo took the mound and displayed his smooth pitching style until the bottom of the 5th inning - I think 3 more pitchers finished out the game. Ken Griffey, Jr was fun to watch, too.

Fans really show their colors at all these games - I'm the only "plain-clothed" person in the crowd!

I'm now visiting my cousin's family in Columbus and will drive to Milwaukee tomorrow - can't wait to see Miller Park and then Wrigley Field!

PIX - I've never blogged before so am learning on the fly. Sorry for the giant photos - I know I clicked "thumbnail" on the Cardinals one and it's a giant imbedded thing. I have not clue on how to change it....

Posted by vmeyer at 1:09 PM

Cardinals

I stayed with friends Gary and Charlotte in St Louis and also had a quick beer with Rob and Dana. It's always so fun to connect with "old" friends. Gary and Charlotte are in the photo of Busch stadium. It was a gorgeous stadium, all the brick really is appealing. I'm getting excited for our new Twins stadium!!

Gary and Charlotte and I shared travel pictures as they've been to many exciting places, too. My fav was the DVD on their giant screen TV of their recent cruise trip to Antarctica, the Falkland Islands, South Georgia Islands and others. We had lunch on "The Hill", a predominantly Italian neighborhood so we ate at a great Italian restaurant followed by a stop at the Missouri Bakery to get me stocked with cookies for my drive! Then, we had a "concrete" at Ted Drewe's - a classic frozen custard stop right on Route 66!

Oh, the game. It rained all day as we cruised around the city, walking in the rain to the Arch, etc. It stopped right as the game began!! I haven't been rained out but I've been rained on. It turned out to be a gorgeous night for outdoor baseball and I loved just being in Busch stadium. Once again, my good luck was brought to a cellar dweller as the Cardinals won!

Posted by vmeyer at 11:05 AM

Royals

View image

At breakfast Thursday morning, I talked with a woman from Oklahoma who had driven up (with her husband and daughter) to see her grandson play for the Anaheim Angels. Wow - to see your grandson play pro ball - I was so jealous!!

It rained lightly for much of the game but they played on. I think the Royals are at or near the bottom of their division and I brought them good luck - they won! Walking back to the car, it really poured. Wet jeans on the drive to St Louis.....

The car is cruising along well - and so am I. Sorry I'm not coming up with much humor.

Posted by vmeyer at 10:55 AM