Research is Everywhere: Part 3

View image

The image provided is a screen shot I took after I voted and clicked on the little "I voted" button on Facebook. Which then took me to a page to show me "real time" voting of facebook users. While the image is cool, and the demographics listed further down on the page are also a "cool" thing to know, it is also very misleading.

On Facebooks voter demographics it showed that men voted only half as often as women did (photo of this is not included). However, it did not explicitly remind viewers that that only includes 1. Facebook users and 2. Facebook users who clicked on the "I voted" button on Facebook. Now, at the very very bottom in itty bitty print it did say this, but my point is, isn't it better to be straightforward with the statistics that you're presenting rather than ever have the chance of looking misleading?

So in conclusion, I feel that Facebook should have been more obvious about the fact that what they were showing was only the statistics of Facebook users who clicked on a certain button, it would have made it a more reliable source of information, rather than showing an obvious bias as truth.