HOW has technology changed the way we communicate?

To me, the obvious answer as to whether or not technology drives/determines the way we think, read, and communicate is, "yes, of course." However, I think the more difficult question is how does technology determine or change the way we communicate and portray our thoughts? I am not confident I quite know the exact answer to how technology determines this, but I do have a couple of insights that I would like to share that begin brainstorming an answer to this question.

The first thing I would like to touch on is the lack of patience I find myself having when required to read long articles or chapters in books. It's odd because I have spent my whole life continuously enrolled in school, thus one would think that reading long articles or text is something that is so second nature to me, that I wouldn't mind it. However, I hate to admit it, but sometimes this is not the case. I find myself become a bit anxious towards the end of a long article, sometimes feeling the need to skim the rest. In the article, "Is Google Making Us Stupid," this idea of us no longer being able to read lengthy material with ease is touched on. The most interesting part of this phenomenon is that I actually find the articles I read for classes very interesting, generally always keeping me attention in the category of interest. So, I find myself in a battle of whether or not my interest of the article can override my anxious feelings of it being a bit lengthy. I have no answer to why this is or which one prevails over the other, it's just something that has come to mind upon reading this article.

One comment made in this same article by Nietzsche read, "We are how we read." I think that this may possibly be an idea to answer the question of how technology changes how we communicate. I come up with a very different end result in my work if I am writing in a notebook versus on a computer. Perhaps having a screen in front of my face or the lack of a pen in my hand somehow alters the way I produce work. An analogy of this might be how the clock changed the way people felt about time by adding such a structured format to it. Overall I think that we definitely have an altered sense of communication now that the use of technology is becoming more second nature than picking up a book to read.

*An article with a similar topic to the one I commented on to further the thought on this can be seen at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7459182.stm

You found a great article to supplement Nick Carr's article on Google. You provide some interesting insights here on how writing in a notebook versus on computer screen might change the way you produce text. You also provide some great insights about reading--I wonder if reading on screen is more difficult than reading in books, making "scanning" more probable online?

This page contains a single entry by vorei002 published on February 8, 2010 12:00 PM.

Refashioning technology, or our mindset? was the previous entry in this blog.

A book's Life is the next entry in this blog.