Alcohol poisoning death may lead to charges of suppliers
Amanda Jax died on her 21st birthday from alcohol-poisoning after celebrating her freedom to drink.
According to the Blue Earth County attorney, charges are being filed on people who were with her or businesses that served her through out the night.
The decision on charging someone is at least two weeks aways, County Attorney Ross Arneson said.
Arneson said that those subject to being charged "could be people who accompanied" Jax in the hours before she died late last month or "people commercially serving her." http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1575948.html
The office Arneson works in has been meeting with representatives of Jax's family to listen to their views about issuing such charges, Arneson said. However he emphasized that, "it's not up to them" to make final decisions.
At the time of her death, Jax's blood alcohol level was at .46 percent, which is more than five times the legal driving limit. http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1575948.html
According to the Mankato Free Press reports, Jax spent the last night of her life drinking heavily at the Sidelines Bar & Grill downtown Mankato, whom served her alcohol when she was clearly intoxicated, which is a gross misdemeanor.
Jax was a pre-nursing student at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
Police said that Jax was taken to a friend's nearby home after the night out drinking. When they found her unresponsive they called 911.
MSUJ president Richard Davenport testified at the public hearing, saying that Mankato "has a reputation for binge drinking." Administrators plan to explore fining students for off-campus alcohol violations, Davenport said. http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1575948.html