Still Waiting

The new landlord has yet to return our copy of the signed lease, and we're getting a bit impatient. It will be nice to have everything squared away. One thing that has been worked out is some overlap to allow us to actually move from one apartment to another. We were hoping to do this cheaply, arranging for a few days or a week or so, but that wasn't possible, so we extended our current lease by a month. It'll cost a bit more, but we'll have 31 days to haul our stuff a few blocks over. While we'll still need a vehicle for a few of the larger items, a lot of it can simply be moved by hand with enough trips. (In fact, the hardest part is going to be the stairs up to the new apartment, not the short trip down the street, and that has to be done by hand anyway.) But we don't have to worry about that for a month or so. Now if we could just get our hands on that lease...

In other news, E and I had a great weekend. On Friday night, one of my professors had the class over for dinner in St. Paul, and then on Saturday we had dirt cheap tickets ($2.50 each) for rather good seats (on the main floor, though on the outer edge) at the Minneapolis Orchestra. We heard Hayden's "The Philosopher" Simphony, and Mahler's 6th. Quite good. The only downside to the evening was the disappointing Italian restaurant that we tried.

On Sunday, we had our usual sequence of church, lazy afternoon, and pizza in front of the tv (this week we watched some of the endless bonus material from Return of the King). Then we decided to stay up really late to watch the last two episodes of Enterprise, which we had missed on Friday, from 11pm-1am. Since we're usually in bed by then, this meant that we had a much longer evening in front of us, and we occupied ourselves by taking a beautiful walk around part of the Lake of the Isles near us (if only we had brought the new camera!) and baking a yellow cake from a mix that we acquired when I was purchasing a mix for E's birthday cake. After looking over the yellow cake recipe in one of my cookbooks and noticing how its almost as easy to make one from scratch, I've determined never to buy a cake mix again -- what's the point? Angel food might be a different matter...

Since then, the weather has been cold and gloomy, as it has been for much of the last few weeks. E's been working as usual, and I've been home trying to finish up some papers from last semester, practicing my Spanish, and making pasta sauce. Next week I'm heading off to DC to see my brother get his Masters. It's been a year since I've seen my family, and I'm looking forward to the trip.

Posted by at 7:26 AM

It's (almost) official!

We've been approved, now all we have to do is sign the lease... and then the whole "moving" thing, but we'll deal with that when it comes.

Here's a picture of the outside of our new apartment. It's up on the top floor, and covers the entire side of the building. We'll post pictures of the inside when we can, though that probably won't be until July.

newapartment2.JPG

The apartment is kind of old and the bathroom's not that great, but there are a lot of incredible built-ins. All along the back wall of the dining room (around the right-hand corner) is a huge built-in with glass-fronted cabinets and drawers and things, and a small stained-glass window set in the middle. It's quite impressive. The kitchen also has a lot of built-in cabinents and, for the first time in my apartment experience, a full-size oven. :) The dining room and living room are divided by two low, glass-fronted bookshelves, which adds a really nice touch.

Posted by at 12:32 PM

New digs

Assuming that the paperwork goes through okay, we should be moving to a new apartment in late June/early July. Here's a picture of a quick floorplan that E. drew up. It's not to scale, a little folded, etc., but it works. The new place is just down the street a few short blocks from our current place, top (3rd) floor. We hope it'll be an improvement.

New Floorplan

Posted by at 9:04 PM

Welcome!

To all family, friends, and anyone else out there interested in what we have to say, welcome to the new Two Cubes blog.

The University of Minnesota library system has quite generously provided the space for this blog, without many restrictions. So, hopefully it'll be a good, centralized spot for everyone to keep track of what we're doing, take a look at the photos we take with our new digital camera (I've seen no indication of file-size or storage limitations), and post your own comments so we who are far away can be a bit more in touch.

This is all assuming we can maintain the thing of course. Since editorial access requires a UMN account, it's up to me to do all of the actual work. Please be patient as I learn the new and somewhat confusing world of blogging.

- Matt

Posted by at 8:55 PM

Testing... testing... 1 2 3... testing...

Is this thing on?

Posted by at 8:29 PM