« It's (almost) official! | Main

Still Waiting

The new landlord has yet to return our copy of the signed lease, and we're getting a bit impatient. It will be nice to have everything squared away. One thing that has been worked out is some overlap to allow us to actually move from one apartment to another. We were hoping to do this cheaply, arranging for a few days or a week or so, but that wasn't possible, so we extended our current lease by a month. It'll cost a bit more, but we'll have 31 days to haul our stuff a few blocks over. While we'll still need a vehicle for a few of the larger items, a lot of it can simply be moved by hand with enough trips. (In fact, the hardest part is going to be the stairs up to the new apartment, not the short trip down the street, and that has to be done by hand anyway.) But we don't have to worry about that for a month or so. Now if we could just get our hands on that lease...

In other news, E and I had a great weekend. On Friday night, one of my professors had the class over for dinner in St. Paul, and then on Saturday we had dirt cheap tickets ($2.50 each) for rather good seats (on the main floor, though on the outer edge) at the Minneapolis Orchestra. We heard Hayden's "The Philosopher" Simphony, and Mahler's 6th. Quite good. The only downside to the evening was the disappointing Italian restaurant that we tried.

On Sunday, we had our usual sequence of church, lazy afternoon, and pizza in front of the tv (this week we watched some of the endless bonus material from Return of the King). Then we decided to stay up really late to watch the last two episodes of Enterprise, which we had missed on Friday, from 11pm-1am. Since we're usually in bed by then, this meant that we had a much longer evening in front of us, and we occupied ourselves by taking a beautiful walk around part of the Lake of the Isles near us (if only we had brought the new camera!) and baking a yellow cake from a mix that we acquired when I was purchasing a mix for E's birthday cake. After looking over the yellow cake recipe in one of my cookbooks and noticing how its almost as easy to make one from scratch, I've determined never to buy a cake mix again -- what's the point? Angel food might be a different matter...

Since then, the weather has been cold and gloomy, as it has been for much of the last few weeks. E's been working as usual, and I've been home trying to finish up some papers from last semester, practicing my Spanish, and making pasta sauce. Next week I'm heading off to DC to see my brother get his Masters. It's been a year since I've seen my family, and I'm looking forward to the trip.

Posted by at May 18, 2005 7:26 AM

Hopefully he wasn’t holding out for a better offer. As a landlord, I try to finalize the lease, collect a deposit, etc… ASAP so there is no turning back. Next time give him a call and find out when you will get it. Good luck.

Posted by: Minneapolis Renting at April 18, 2006 12:12 PM