« Sri Lanka government refuses cease fire | Main | Dinkytown riot »

Secretary of Homeland Security apologies to veterans

Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano meet with American Legion National Commander David Rehbein at Homeland Security headquarters to apology to veterans Friday, for the report of a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) report that suggested returning combat veterans could be recruited by right-wing extremist groups. CNN

In a statement issued by the department, Napolitano said, "We connected meaningfully about the important issues that have emerged over recent days, and I offered him my sincere apologies for any offense to our veterans caused by this report. ... I pledge that the department has fixed the internal process that allowed this document to be released before it was ready." CNN

Napolitano has added additional layers of review had now been added to her department's report dissemination process. AP

The report was an unclassified assessment sent to law enforcement agencies. It was titled "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment."

"In the mind of the American Legion, I think her apology was sufficient," Renbein said. "The way the Vietnam veterans were treated once they came home, that's what drives the sensitivity to this, because those things start small and then grow from there, and we need to make sure anytime something like that happens we need to step on that and make sure it goes away very quickly." CNN