What IS an orals paper?

One essential element in completing your Oral Preliminary Examination -- the last step before beginning your dissertation research -- is preparation of an orals paper. There are significant variations by advisor in what an orals paper includes; in general, I think the orals paper should be a description of an area of academic scholarship (most likely related to your planned dissertation), it should present a focused review of theory and research in that area, and it should have both an analysis of the literature (including methodological critiques) and a synthesis of what is known and not yet known -- thus setting up your dissertation.

The paper often 'reappears' in edited form as Chapter 2 in your dissertation. Thus, it's worth doing well!

Some years ago, I prepared this document to describe the essential elements of an orals paper, and the necessary skills for passing your oral exam. Please read that document as part of your Orals Paper Planning Process!!!

Dissertation Calculator

Hi All! Just wanted to show you the dissertation calculator. It lays out your progress based on your expected date of completion.

Daunting Dissertations No More!

Hello Everyone!
Scott asked that I create a way for all of us to communicate about our dissertations, since it is likely that we will have hoards of information that overlaps and intersects. By using this web-blog we can share files, information and advice on the dissertation process, and most importantly how to actually complete the darn thing.

So check it out, use it assist you and don't be afraid to comment and add whatever you like. The blog is through the university library, so from what I understand we can share files, which means if you want someone to read your prospectus or a chapter or two of your dissertation, this would be a great place to put it.