A redesign of the original asymmetry contraption has finally reached (hopefully) it's perfected state. With a black felt backing I was able to take several test pictures in the '99 Garden South with the assistance of Dr. Andrew McCall.
Later work with ImageJ allowed me to create a simplified version of the picture, with only the ray florets visible.
From this I was easily (with the help of a few lovely plug-ins), able to measure the areas of each ray floret. Thus, a measure of asymmetry is born!
On a note less related to Echinacea, I have realized that I haven't loaded very many of my own pictures from this adventure. I then remembered that I hadn't taken very many pictures, so in a frantic effort to catch up, I took a ton on a single day of work. So without further ado, I present to you the best of the pictures I have taken so far.
That's all for now, I'll get some more later. Maybe...