Hot week in review! (18 July 2011)

| 1 Comment

We accomplished a lot, even thought the weather was super hot! We even started at 7 am to try to beat the heat.

Monday, (July 18, 2011) was amazing in two different ways. The temperature was in the nineties, but the heat index was over 100 F. We worked in the morning, but by 10 am it was heating up. Because of the humidity, our clothes were soaked through by the end of the day. We measured plants in the common garden on Monday afternoon, and helped Katherine set up cages for her aphid experiments.

Here's a picture of what we felt like on Monday: (Notice the sweat on Josh's brow as he measures the height, in centimeters, of the Echinacea head.
IMG_0252.jpg

Tuesday and Wednesday, we decided not to work outside during the afternoon, so we did morning field work, and then spent time updating the website and computer work during the afternoon.


Here are a few photos of our projects.

1. Callin's Compatibility Project:
IMG_0278.jpg

2. Amber Z's Phenology Project at Staffanson Prairie Preserve
IMG_0257.jpg

3. Lee's compatibility project with Coreopsis palmata and Heliopsis helianthoides
IMG_0287.jpg

4. Katherine's Experiment with aphids. She set up lots of cages to keep aphids in the right places. Very cool!
IMG_0274.JPG

5. Josh is helping other groups and helping with the main projects, because he's waiting for his Big Bluestem and Indian Grass to grow for his experiment (sorry, no photo).

6. Maria has been collecting Dichanthelium seeds for later experiments. Check out the cool purple flower of Dichanthelium in the picture.
IMG_0086.jpg

7. Amber E. has been collecting pollen from Dalea in lots of different remnants (sorry, no picture). Dalea purpurea is a purple flowering legume.
IMG_0259.JPG


8. Nicholas is just about to finish all his compatibility experiments between Echinacea angustifolia and Echinacea pallida. To do cross pollination experiments, he first paints the bracts that subtend the styles he will pollinate. Aqua is a easy color to recognize on the bracts.
IMG_0174.jpg


On Thursday and Friday, we were able to do more fieldwork in the common garden, even in the afternoon (common garden measurements and phenology).

We also had time to practice taking some photos for the website. The photo below shows Stuart scouting a good location for a website photo.
IMG_0304.JPG

1 Comment

What a tough bunch! You all are great!!!

Leave a comment