« My Self Portrait | Main | Extra Credit »

Eleusian Mysteries Project

mystery.jpg

Our main goal was to create a short presentation to provide the viewer with some basic background information about the myth of Demeter and Persephone and the Eleusian mysteries as well as spatial reference to the events that occured each day. We figured that this would be a good over-view for people that do not know much about the subject matter before viewing projects on more specific areas of the topic.

My partners in this project were Blia Xiong and Christie Cullington. Blia and I produced images to illustrate the myth of Demeter and Persephone as well as the daily happenings of the Eleusian mysteries. Christie created the map and the transitions. In addition, she worked in imovie to edit the presentation.

I did a lot of research on the myth of Demeter and Persephone to find out what the characters looked like and how to summarize the myth in two images. As far as research on the mysteries went, I visted many web sites trying to piece together what happened each day and where it happened. I also did a fair amount of research on the styles of clothing of the Eleusian mysteries participants.

When dividing the imagery workload, Blia and I decided that it would be best to alternate days so that the final presentation flowed more smoothly. We created one image for each day exept for the sixth day (which required two images), and I created both of the myth images. After all of our drawings were complete we made sure that the line quality was uniform. I created a Greek style border and colored it with the colors from the assigned palette. We applied this border to all of our images to create more unity. At this point, Christie took all of the images into imovie and edited the presentation.

I feel that the final product is a success. I am confident that our main goal was met. The presentation flows smoothly and the images work well together.