Billionaire Commissions "Titanic II"

| 1 Comment

Australian Billionaire Chris Palmer has announced plans to build a 21st century version of the Titanic, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Almost exactly a century after the doomed maiden voyage of the original Titanic, the mining magnate announced plans to build a new ship that would be ready to sail in 2016. the Titanic II would be build as close to the specifications of the original as possible, but with 21st century amenities and technology.

"It is going to be designed so it won't sink,'' Palmer told the BBC. ''But, of course, if you are superstitious like you are, you never know what could happen.''

The attention-grabbing new boat is just a part of Palmer's recent expansion into tourism, which also includes a luxury resort and other cruise ships.

UN Head Arrives in Syria

| No Comments

The head of a UN observation mission arrived in Syria on Sunday and urged government and resistance forces alike to end the violence that has rocked the country for more than a year, according to the Washington Post.

Maj Gen Robert Mood arrived in the Syrian capital of Damascus on Sunday to assist the 30 unarmed UN observers already deployed assist in ending the conflict in Syria. 30 more of the approved 300 observers are slated to follow.

Ten unarmed observers, 30 unarmed observers, 300 unarmed observers, even a thousand unarmed observers cannot solve all the problems," Maj Gen Mood told the BBC. "To achieve the success of Kofi Annan's six-point plan, I call on all to stop the violence and to help us on a continued cessation of armed violence in all its forms."

Violence has gone down in some neighborhoods where observers have been stationed but activists group say that at least 28 more civilians were killed on Sunday.

Gingrich to Suspend Campaign

| No Comments

Newt Gingrich has announced that he will suspend his campaign for the republican presidential nomination next week, according to CNN.

According to campaign staffers, the former Speaker of the House is dropping out of the race due to logistical purposes, and will formally concede the race in a speech on Wednesday. He is expected to endorse likely nominee Mitt Romney.

Gingrich originally appeared to be the chief rival to Romney back in December, when early poll numbers showed the speaker making double-digit leads over the former Massachusetts governor. Astring of primary losses, staff departures, dwindling funds and a number of campaign trail gaffes soon pushed Gingrich towards irrelevance, although he pledged to stay in the race until the republican national convention.

The New York Times reports that Gingrich's campaign is $4.3 million in debt, but Gingrich is pressing on into next week, still attending promised campaign stops with his third wife, Callista.

State OK's Beer at TCF Stadium

| No Comments

The Star Tribune reports that lawmakers have approved the sale of alcohol at TCF Bank Stadium, making the University of Minnesota the first school in the Big Ten to sell beer at football games.

A bill signed into law this week by governer Mark Dayton will allow beer to be sold at Gopher Football games from tents through at least half time. Alcohol had been banned at the stadium since it opened in 2009. The beer sales are expected to help attendance and make TCF Bank Stadium better suited to host the Minnesota Vikings, should they need to use TCF for a season while a new stadium is built.

"This is absolutely fabulous," Bob Hughes, president of the Goal Line Club, a Gophers football booster organization, told the CBS Sports. "It makes it that much more of a festive experience. It will set us apart. We'll be the only Big Ten stadium that will actually have a beer garden of that nature."

Vikings Running Back Arrested

| 1 Comment

Caleb King, a rookie Vikings running back, has been arrested on suspicion of assault, according to the Associated Press.

King has not yet been formally charged, but was arrested under suspicion of third degree assault after an altercation outside of a party in Oak Grove left a 22-year-old man with skull and facial fracture as well as a potentially serious brain injury.

a release from the Anoka County Sheriff's Office obtained by the Star Tribune described an incident in which the alleged victim was pulled out of his car by King and beaten after teasing him earlier at the party.

King was arrested at the scene and denied that he had assaulted the man, saying that he fell when they were talking in the parking lot. The Anoka County attorney's office will decide whether or not to charge King next week.

King is a rookie running back for the Vikings practice squad. He joined the team last year as a free agent and has not yet played in a game.

Stadium plan limps forward in senate

| No Comments

Fox News reports that the Minnesota Vikings stadium deal was brought back from the brink on Friday following a visit from the NFL commissioner.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell visited the capitol on Friday to voice his support for the stadium plan and keeping the Vikings in Minneapolis. After his visit a senate committee approved the deal in an 8-6 vote.

"We think it was a very productive session today," Goodell told Fox. "Obviously, I think our presence here is a signal how important it is to the National Football League that the Minnesota Vikings continue to be here in this community and be successful. We believe that after many, many years the time has come to pass legislation, to move forward."

KARE 11 reports that although the stadium plan was initially approved by a House committee, the plan died in front of a Government Operations panel last week. This makes the senate all the more crucial in the coming week.

"I still think the odds are against it at this point, but again, in the last week strange things can happen in terms of momentum, in terms of how things shift," Hamline University Political Science Professor David Schultz told KARE 11.

"Arrested Development" creator Mitch Hurwitz announced that the revival of the cult TV show would arrive on Netflix all at once at a press event on Wednesday, according to the AV Club.

At the National Association of Broadcasters Convention in Las Vegas, Hurwitz and "Arrested Development" cast members answered questions about the show's upcoming fourth season, which was picked up by Netflix last fall, five years after the sitcom was canceled by Fox.

Hurwitz and co. said that the ten-episode season will film over the summer and premiere all at once on Netflix's streaming service on a yet-to-be determined day next year. Any talk of the rumored movie was sidestepped, although Vulture reports that Hurwitz expressed hope that season four would "be the first first of many visits."

Bakdash Sentenced to 40 Years

| No Comments

Timothy Bakdash, who was found guilty last month of a fatal hit-and-run in Dinkytown, was sentenced to 40 years in prison by a Hennepin County judge on Tuesday, according to the Minnesota Daily.

Bakdash, 30, was convicted of second degree murder and two counts of attempted murder last month. After he drove on a sidewalk in a drunken rage after leaving the Library Bar in Dinkytown. He struck three people including University senior Ben Van Handel, who died six days later.

According to the Star Tribune, Hennepin County District Judge Daniel Mabley said that he was touched by the case, and leveled a harsher sentence than expected. The prosecution asked for 38 years in prison, while Bakdash's defense sought 19.

"When I graduate in May and walk across the stage, I'm going to be walking for my brother," said Van Handel's sister, Rachel, though tears after the sentencing.

Zimmerman Released on $150k Bail

| No Comments

CNN reports that George Zimmerman, who is currently awaiting trial for the February killing of Trayvon Martin, was released from a Florida jail Sunday night on a $150,000 bond.

The 28-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer exited a Sanford, Fla. jail in front of reporters on Sunday night. He got into an white BMW with another man and drove off to an unknown location.

Zimmerman was formally charged with second degree murder six weeks after he fatally shot Martin, 17, in a gated community in Sanford. Zimmerman claimed that the teen attacked him and that he killed Martin in self-defense, citing Florida's controversial Stand Your Ground law, which allows citizens to use deadly force if they feel threatened.

The delay in charging Zimmerman lead to widespread national outcry and sparked protests all over the United States. Because of the high-profile nature of the case, Zimmerman's location is being kept a secret, and may even be outside of Florida. He will be fitted with an electronic tracking device and given a 7 p.m. - 6 a.m. curfew.

The Associated Press reports, however, that Zimmerman's safety might not be a concern.

"The mood in Sanford has calmed down tremendously," said Sanford Commissioner Patty Mahany. "I think now that people are able to see the justice system taking place, even though they understand it's going to be quite slow, people are willing to just remain calm and really we're all getting back to our daily routines."

Iran claims they have cracked downed US drone

| 1 Comment

The Iranian government claims to have pulled secret information out of an American spy drone that crashed back in December, and plan on reverse-engineering the craft to build their own copy, according to the BBC.

Military Aerospace chief Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh told the Iranian press on Sunday that military scientists had hacked computers aboard the RQ-170 Sentinel and extracted secret data, including information on past missions spying on Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan weeks before his assassination.

According to the New York Times, Hajizadeh also suggested that Iran would began reverse-engineering the drone to create their own copy, a claim that American experts have dismissed.

"It's hard for me to imagine no self-destruct or erase mechanism was embedded in the drone to destroy sensitive systems, including software," said Dennis M. Gormley, a drone expert from the University of Pittsburgh. "As someone who does monitor Iranian aerospace and missile claims closely, let me simply observe that they are preternaturally disposed to exaggeration."

The White House and American Intelligence officials would not comment on the claims Sunday, but some US officials offered skepticism at Iran's claims.

"I think there is a history here of Iranian bluster, particularly now when they are on the defensive because of our economic sanctions against them," said Sen. Joseph Lieberman on Fox News Sunday. "I don't have confidence at this point that they are really able to make a copy of it. It's a very sophisticated piece of machinery and has served our national security well."


Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Recent Comments

  • yusky@live.it: 9Down.cc Free Download Software SiTE read more
  • yusky@live.it: I hope to stop the war War makes many read more
  • sbrown2015@hotmail.com: I am thrilled that there is going to be another read more
  • Gayle Golden: Great job on the blog, Tony. Really nice. Your entries read more

Recent Assets

  • metro.jpg

Pages

Powered by Movable Type 4.31-en