Bakdash Sentenced to 40 Years

Timothy Bakdash, who was found guilty last month of a fatal hit-and-run in Dinkytown, was sentenced to 40 years in prison by a Hennepin County judge on Tuesday, according to the Minnesota Daily.

Bakdash, 30, was convicted of second degree murder and two counts of attempted murder last month. After he drove on a sidewalk in a drunken rage after leaving the Library Bar in Dinkytown. He struck three people including University senior Ben Van Handel, who died six days later.

According to the Star Tribune, Hennepin County District Judge Daniel Mabley said that he was touched by the case, and leveled a harsher sentence than expected. The prosecution asked for 38 years in prison, while Bakdash's defense sought 19.

"When I graduate in May and walk across the stage, I'm going to be walking for my brother," said Van Handel's sister, Rachel, though tears after the sentencing.