Gophers linebacker found dead

Senior Gopher linebacker Gary Tinsley was found dead in Roy Wilkins Hall Friday morning, the Minnesota Daily reports.

Tinsley, 22, was found by his roommate Friday morning and appeared unresponsive. First responders performed CPR for 30 minutes before declaring Tinsely dead. The death is being treated as suspicious by police, but there were no signs of foul play or substance abuse.

Tinsley had problems both with grades and the law during his four seasons playing for the University, but he successfully turned his life around in recent years, and was set to receive his BS in business and marketing in May. He will be awarded the degree posthumously.

Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi flew back from the Frozen Four tournament after hearing the news of Tinsley's death, and joined the grieving Gopher football team, coach Jerry Kill, and University president Eric Kaler for an emotional news conference Friday afternoon.

The Gary that I knew always made me feel good," he told the Star Tribune. "I think he made others feel good as well."